Fork Protectors

Here's your chance to tell us about the best (and worst!) bits of biking kit or accessories you've bought. Real-world reviews from real riders!
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Fork Protectors

Post by YAMAEXUP »

On my dirtbikes I have fork protectors that keep the chrome clean and clear of all the muck that a green lane can throw at them.And many a time in my years I have had the misfortune to have a stone or something similar ding my forkleg and cause an oil leak...often at the worst time. So I looked around for some of these
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5482 ... Two-Wheels

But M & P didn't sell at the time that I was looking,so I took a chance and bought some from the TDM850,which the guy at Fowlers of Bristol said would fit the forks of my 1990 Exup.Well, for the pittance that they cost I wouldn't have been bothered if they didn't,and the next opportunity that I had I fitted them with no problems.They probably fit better than the universal ones fom M&P as well,as the genuine Yamaha ones have a lip which locates on the top of the fork leg.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Vagabond
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by Vagabond »

I got a pair on my bike too, took them off the CBR1000FP that I crashed, fitted straight on too.
1989 FZR1000R
joeboy
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by joeboy »

Any chance of a pic on the bike?
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I'll get a piccie up when I get out to the shed in the morning.

www.blood.co.uk
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

joeboy wrote:Any chance of a pic on the bike?
Got the piccie downloaded at last...

www.blood.co.uk
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

I take it you dont have to remove your forks to get them on? do they have a split in them?
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

My old TDM had them and you do have to remove the forks to slide them on, there is no split in them.
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

itsnotagenesis wrote:My old TDM had them and you do have to remove the forks to slide them on, there is no split in them.
I think the hacksaw and a cable tie would be coming out, no way would i be doing all that work just for those.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I had them to one side for when I had the forks out when doing the fork seals...again.

www.blood.co.uk
kev.h
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by kev.h »

i just bought some carbon fibre ones from m&p not put them on yet but they have a jubule clip (i know ive spelt it wrong) fitment so no fork removal needed :nod: