Quick steel

Here's your chance to tell us about the best (and worst!) bits of biking kit or accessories you've bought. Real-world reviews from real riders!
joeboy
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Quick steel

Post by joeboy »

Ive used this stuff to fix almost everything, it sets under water, you can tap it file it drill it and tap threads in it..

Adheres to and bonds virtually all solid surfaces including; all metals, wood, masonry, and plastics.

Easy to use putty - just cut off the required amount, knead well and apply.
Sets as hard as steel in just 15 mins.
Seals while leaks are occurring - including diesel and petrol leaks.
Resistant to heat and chemicals ( from -70 to +260 Degrees Celsius)
Stays malleable for up to three years after opening.
Quick Steel can be drilled, sawn, milled, ground, filled, tapped, sanded, painted and lacquered once it has cured.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3521/quiksteel.jpg
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

where do you buy this stuff Joe?

Fitted a new engine in lads ped tonight and someone has cracked the casing around the side ot the stator casing. I need to resecure it to keep out the water
AKA Bald headed b'stard
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

Any good motor factors or ebay..i think even the like of halfrauds might sell it but the cheapest is online.

http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/quiksteel.asp

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUIKSTEEL-STEEL-R ... 0345696279
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

I put a hole in my sump years ago whilst on holiday, i went over a speed hump too fast and a stone punctured it..it was on a Passat and there aluminium so it cracked instead of bent like a steel one would.

Anyway..i let the oil drain and roughed it up around the edges..stuffed some Quick steel let it go off..Some new oil and away we went for about 2 years until i sold it.. :nod:
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
DarkFool
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by DarkFool »

I used something similar on the pipes on my old RS125 were they'd rusted through, worked a treat, i just cleaned the loose rust off, stuffed the hole, then moulded some on the outside, when that had gone off i just rubbed it down and resprayed them. Looked spot on when i'd finished :)
1990 FZR 1000 R

No One Ever Suspects The Fool
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

Just found a very similar product in the local pound shop believe it or not, they even had 2 different versions one was just epoxy putty the other was a quicksteel copy, both made by Rapide.

I will keep you updated if its any good, looks spot on.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
Vagabond
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by Vagabond »

Yep, I've got some of that stuff, it's great!

Gonna patch up a few small holes on the car exhaust with it and see how it goes.

I found it better than the JB Weld stuff
1989 FZR1000R
Weaver
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by Weaver »

I'm gonna give this a try. I cracked the ally sump on my car by over tightening the sump plug and now have a steady leak.

FZ6s 04'
YZF750R 98'
GPz750R1 82'
RD350LC 81'
DT125 75' (For Sale)
surfer69
Technician
Technician

Post by surfer69 »

Vagabond wrote:
I found it better than the JB Weld stuff
I aqree with you on that, the JB Weld stuff never goes off properly for me.
When you've eliminated the impossible
whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
1990 Yamaha FZR1000R1
1998 Fiat Coupe 20VT 270bhp.
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

JB weld is good if you need it to run into a deep crack and seal that way. I heard a good tip for JB is to paste it on a pad first then sort of splodge it on with the pad holing it in place.

I was reading about some motor cross guys who go for miles into the wilderness, if they crack a casing on a rock they lean the bike right over to save the oil and use it with the pad. They also carry epoxy putty for other jobs that might come upo.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
WAKWAK
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by WAKWAK »

JB weld is wank :nod:
Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.
Vagabond
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by Vagabond »

joeboy wrote:JB weld is good if you need it to run into a deep crack and seal that way. I heard a good tip for JB is to paste it on a pad first then sort of splodge it on with the pad holing it in place.
Another tip for using epoxy type stuff to get deep into cracks is to put both tubes in some hot water for a bit, comes out all liquidy/runny and spreads and flows nicely.
1989 FZR1000R
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

+1 on the Qwik steel...but they also do Qwik ally. I keep a tube of each with me when we go greenlaning up in Wales when we're often in the middle of nowhere.

A friend's bike was turned away from scrutineering at one enduro a few years ago.The ball bit on the end of one of his brake levers had broken off and he didn't have a spare.So we just made up some qwik steel and bunged it on.By the time we got back to scrutineering it had gone off and the inspector passed the bike.

Got mine from Race-Spec.As you don't need much to affect a repair it has lasted for ages.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk