Tank Protection

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
EXUPMarky
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Tank Protection

Post by EXUPMarky »

Folks.

My EXUP tank has a few small zip scratches exactly where you'd expect to find them on the tank.

Is there a recognised good fitting protector or do I simply get a generic one and try it!

Cheers.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Re: Tank Protection

Post by bunk »

LOL, ive waited 2 years to reply to you!

I have a lockhart tank protector if your still looking.. I am in the states though.
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Testing!

https://imgur.com/gallery/fzr1000-tank-cover-9RZgoT4

If posting IMGUR links you need to copy BBCode (Forums) the picture will then show up as below-(ADMIN) :thumbsup:

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ef8OSDE.jpeg[/img]
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Should you be interested, it has 3 fabric covered metal tabs on each side on the rear that hold the cover in place and a rope that goes around the front of the tank to hold it taught. It needs a good cleanup. Pay shipping and its yours. If it doesnt work i would ask that you gift it to someone who will use it.
EXUPMarky
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by EXUPMarky »

Thanks Bunk, but I'm all sorted.

I just used a generic spine type protector, not the full on condom jobbie!

Cheers

EXUPMarky
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Odd story so if you have a minute...

I renovated a rv and put all my stuff (including multiple project bikes) in storage for a year while i traveled the states to find a new place to live that is more american than washington state. I was a few weeks into my travels when i happened on your post, but obviously i couldnt help.

It stayed in the back of my mind as i unpacked my stuff and then voila the site is back. So the first thing i did of course was see if that cover could be of help. The tank on the bike has some damage, it looks like someone took a screwdriver and gouged a few z's on the side. That monster of a cover hides it. I dont even know if i dare put it on ebay ! it is overkill. But period specific.

My fzr project is next, should be starting on it in september. Its been a long wait.
Nick
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Nick »

Hi Bunk,
Nick
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Nick »

Hi Bunk,

I apologise for the previous short greeting, but I am replying whilst under the influence of alcohol. Two things, are you relocated in somewhere more American than Washington State, and can you furnish the forum with more details of this 'My fzr project is next'?
Lastly, what is you first name so that I may address you politely. I must be more under the influence of alcohol than I thought as the spellchecker is working some serious overtime. The message though is of 100% genuine interest.
I look forward to hearing from you, and by the way Nick as you may have guessed is my name.
It's 10.09pm here in England, time for sleep.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Nick wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:08 pm Hi Bunk,

I apologise for the previous short greeting, but I am replying whilst under the influence of alcohol. Two things, are you relocated in somewhere more American than Washington State, and can you furnish the forum with more details of this 'My fzr project is next'?
Lastly, what is you first name so that I may address you politely. I must be more under the influence of alcohol than I thought as the spellchecker is working some serious overtime. The message though is of 100% genuine interest.
I look forward to hearing from you, and by the way Nick as you may have guessed is my name.
It's 10.09pm here in England, time for sleep.
Oh yeah i used to booze it up on the daily so i know the pitfalls. Yes i relocated to eastern Texas, Its very American here and very hot which i appreciate. You can just call me bunk, short for my last name Bunker.

In 2019 i found the motorcycle barn find of my life after buying some misc parts from a old mini sprint racer. He used to buy wrecked bikes to power his racecars and retired with several he didnt use. I bought them. The first one im nearly done recommissioning, a 86 gsxr1100 with 15k on it. I also got a thunderace(sold it already) and a 89 fzr1k frame, rear swinger and engine, and a complete black 90 with the front end folded sooo far back that it pinched the radiator to the block. Unfortunately the oil drain back from the cooler broke off the oil pan so i knew the engine was toast. I ended up buying a 91, sold the bodywork off it to cushion the purchase and plan on putting its engine in the 90. Once the slabby is riding the 91 will go on the lift so i can service the carbs and do all the necessary stuff before trying to start it. Then swap it into the 90. I got a imgur acct for the job so i'll document it all on here.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

If anyone on here wants the tank cover its yours ! Just pay shipping.
Nick
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Nick »

Bunk it is then,

Thank you for replying. I do not drink regularly, but have had a tough week to date, so there you go.
I know that eastern Texas gets very hot, as I follow a radio/electronics repair man on youtube. He is based in Houston and regularly comments on the 100 degree weather outside. I would imagine that air conditioning is essential.
Your barn finds sounds fantastic. Very few genuine 'Barn Finds' in the UK, though people claim differently. I think people in this country class anything found in a barn as a 'Barn find' irrespective of how long its been there. Some of the estimations of the worth of their finds is hilarious. If it's vintage, then that adds a couple of noughts to the resale value straight away, and heaven help us if it can be classified as antique.

I am looking forward to seeing the 'Slabby' roadworthy, is it a keeper? Obviously the main event will be the Exup.
Hope all goes smoothly for you, never do though do they.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Nick wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:38 am Bunk it is then,

Thank you for replying. I do not drink regularly, but have had a tough week to date, so there you go.
I know that eastern Texas gets very hot, as I follow a radio/electronics repair man on youtube. He is based in Houston and regularly comments on the 100 degree weather outside. I would imagine that air conditioning is essential.
Your barn finds sounds fantastic. Very few genuine 'Barn Finds' in the UK, though people claim differently. I think people in this country class anything found in a barn as a 'Barn find' irrespective of how long its been there. Some of the estimations of the worth of their finds is hilarious. If it's vintage, then that adds a couple of noughts to the resale value straight away, and heaven help us if it can be classified as antique.

I am looking forward to seeing the 'Slabby' roadworthy, is it a keeper? Obviously the main event will be the Exup.
Hope all goes smoothly for you, never do though do they.
I would consider Houston southern texas but i am new here! yesterday was the first day this year it broke 100 here. Its been in the 90's for 3 months and my back appreciates it. I am near Tyler texas, about 1 1/2 hrs from dallas. Just remember, texas is massive. It takes a long time to get anywhere.

Funny thing is the barn find was a actual barn, located about 3 miles from sea tac airport in wa state. I have pictures on a old phone of the day i got everything that i should put on imgur. All of the bikes stop functioning by 91. My exup only has 8500 miles on it but like i said i suspect its damaged. At the end of the day i have 3 complete engines to mix and match if necessary. Hopefully the 91 runs right.

The slabby is a for sure keeper. I was 16 when they came out and vividly remember seeing 3 of them at my local dealer. I would call it more of a survivor not a museum piece. It has a few dents in the tank and some random stickers, and the original painted panels show their age. I have a thread on it at oldskoolsuzuki.com in the project section. I should be riding it by the end of the month barring any surprises.

I am really excited to get the exup going. a white 89 was the first literbike i rode and to this day i remember how well it did everything even though i was used to light 2t bikes(rz350ypvs). A black one is a cherry on top, i absolutely love yamaha's livery on this bike. I just hope the paint more or less matches on the fairings i bought in the us, and the cowl that came from japan. I will most likely get new panels from perfect fairings if it doesnt look right. Image works can do the graphics kit so im set there.
Nick
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Nick »

Second biggest state (after Alaska), and 3 times the size of England. Massive is definitely the right word. I see what you mean regarding the location of Houston. Pretty much due south of where you are. I forgot that it wasn't far from the coast. Sounds as though the weather is agreeing with your back, which will certainly help when riding these older machines.
I had a look for your 'Slabby' on oldskoolsuzuki.com, but unfortunately their web page will not load at present.
I agree with you on the Black Exup Livery, very nice. Sounds like it's going to have a bit of money lavished on it. Are you looking for a 'Show standard' finish on the project or perhaps a little less so that you don't worry about potential damage every time you ride it?
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Im of the opinion that every car truck or bike is ment to be used. With that said, to keep a bike in nice as new condition costs way more than a rider. All my bikes are riders, not perfect but they look fine from 10 feet. Im most concerned about them doing what they are supposed to do. The reality is i might wreck and having something mint is just going to hurt on more levels.

I just got the slabbys carbs done, currently bench testing them with remote fuel to make sure they dont leak. Cause putting them in and out is a nightmare. I'll likely try and start it tomorrow if everything pans out.
Nick
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Nick »

Hi Bunk,

I agree 100%. They should all be riders and drivers. Make them look nice and get out and have fun.
I have several bikes and cars, but nothing newer than 1999. The only downside I find is the regular need for attention. Multiply this by several vehicles and it can be very time consuming. All forgotten when out and about, unless they break down mid ride or drive of course. Parts can also be an issue.

Hope all goes well with the 'Slabby's ' carbs. Of all the bikes I have owned and worked on, removing and refitting Suzuki carbs always seemed to be a pain compared to the other brands.

I hope that this regular to and fro of messages is not too intrusive. Let me know if this is not the case.

Have a good day, and probably a hot one given your location.