FZR 1000 RU Fork Seal replacement

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

FZR 1000 RU Fork Seal replacement

Post by Millietant »

Evening all,

I've come across a problem when trying to disassemble my USD forks. I've removed the legs, unscrewed to top caps and was going to fit my spring compressor tool using the holes shown in the manuals and online, but looking at my forks, there are no holes !

I'm pretty sure my forks are standard, from a 91/92 bike, so I don't understand why they're not the same as all of the guidance examples and Haynes manual example.

Could anyone offer any advice on how to compress the springs in my forks, or point to any information source to help me out.

I'll sort out how to post pics shortly.

Thanks all.[/img]
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Millietant »

OK, so I can't get to post photo's (I'm not paying for Image Shack) - but I hope someone can understand what I mean from the description above.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem a couple of years ago with mine so drilled my own holes.

Seem to also remember I put the holes too near the caps for the lashed-up spring compressor I was using so leave enough room to give access to the locking nuts underneath.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

The easiest/best way to dis-assemble usd forks is to undo the Allen bolt at the bottom of the forks, if you can get this undone, the internals (damper, spring and top pre-load assembly) can be removed complete.

You can then remove the dust seal and circlip, and using a hammering action remove the oil seal and bush.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

check out Dave Moss on youtube, he has a free vid on rebuilding upside down forks.
1996 thunderace
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Millietant »

jcr wrote:check out Dave Moss on youtube, he has a free vid on rebuilding upside down forks.
Thanks, I'll have a look at it - TBH though, I'm pretty comfortable rebuilding forks, both RWU and USD. This is the first time I've been stumped by the forks being different to all of the instructions and I can't see a way to get the cap separated easily.

I've got my fingers crossed that the bolt at the bottom of the leg comes loose and unscrews, rather than the nut at the bottom of the fork just spinning - I'll use my impact gun on it and hope for the best. :thumbsup:
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Millietant »

jcr wrote:check out Dave Moss on youtube, he has a free vid on rebuilding upside down forks.
Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

TBH though, I'm pretty comfortable rebuilding forks, both RWU and USD. This is the first time I've been stumped by the forks being different to all of the instructions and I can't see a way to get the cap separated easily.

I've got my fingers crossed that the bolt at the bottom of the leg comes loose and unscrews, rather than the nut at the bottom of the fork just spinning.

I'll use my impact gun on it and hope for the best.
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

EXUP RU Fork Seal issues

Post by Millietant »

Thanks all.

I'll give it a go with the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and hope it comes out. It's the first time I've come across a set of USD forks where my normal tools can't get the nut accessible, to separate the cap from the rod.

It seems like every other set of FZR USD forks have the holes in which my compressor will fit into perfectly.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Millietant »

Been trying to add a reply but keep getting an error message so this is a test without any punctuation or text extras
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Previous messages

Post by Millietant »

Well, I don't know what was happening, but it seems like all my replies have gone through anyway despite the error messages.....never mind !!!
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Re: EXUP RU Fork Seal issues

Post by Millietant »

Millietant wrote:Thanks all.

I'll give it a go with the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and hope it comes out. It's the first time I've come across a set of USD forks where my normal tools can't get the nut accessible, to separate the cap from the rod.

It seems like every other set of FZR USD forks have the holes in which my compressor will fit into perfectly.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Well, the good news is that I made up a sit-on spring compressor tool which meant I could compress the spring enough to get the cap loosened. Once I did this, I separated the stanchion from the top leg and changed the seals. While I had the forks apart, I drilled the top "spacer" to match every other FZR forks and I can now use my tool with a couple of wind-in bolts and take the forks apart in 5 mins each. Next time I do the seals it will be soooo simple. Didn't need to take the bottom bolt out, simple job really. :)
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

what fork springs are you using?
1996 thunderace
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Millietant »

jcr wrote:what fork springs are you using?
Straight rate 0.95 kg/m springs (the forks are on my FJ 1200), not sure where they were sourced.

An old pal who had a little car and bike servicing/MOT and repair business (and who raced bikes), did the spring swap for me a few years back and he's been retired a little while now and can't recall where he got them.
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Here goes with the photo's

Post by Millietant »

Fingers crossed, this all works out OK

This is the standard FZR spacer as shown in all the video's and on-line how-to's, note the arrowed hole.

This is the spacer in my FZR forks - no hole !

I did manage to make a compressor tool to fit onto the small shoulder in the middle of the spacer and compressed the springs enough to loosen the lock nut. Once things were apart, I drilled my spacers so I could use the compressor tool with the locating bolts slotting into the holes.

Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Millietant »

Well, that's a bummer, copied the imgur links and still no photo's. I am a web Neanderthal !!!!