carb balancing

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

carb balancing

Post by jcr »

had a go a syncing the carbs on the Ace today with some cheap gauges. now i have a slight misfire :(
guess ill have to invest in some better quality gauges.
i dont think the carbs have ever been played with before, judging by the state of the vacuum hose plugs when i finally managed to pull them out.

i want to buy some longer fuel line so i can run it to the tank when its off the bike. can anyone tell me what size i need?
1996 thunderace
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

i have ordered spare fuel line and am going to bite the bullet and get a Carbtune pro kit. hopefully i will get better results next time i try syncing the carbs.
1996 thunderace
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

The Morgan kits are easy to use and give good results 👍
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Make sure to get the Morgan brass adapters. They are a lot stronger than the plastic ones. 👍
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

ive now encountered the problem of the brass butterfly on carb one not fully seating. im able to push it about 1mm further when it should be shut.

does anyone have an idea what would cause this?
1996 thunderace
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Carbs

Post by creedxup »

The carb to head rubber clamps can interfere if not fitted correctly.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

i have found the problem. after moving pipes out of the way so that i could see the adjuster screw, i discovered that the screw was stopping turning before it reached the point that it started to adjust the butterfly. i was assuming it had reached the end of its travel and it hadnt even started any adjusting!

now i have to figure out why its not screwing in properly :rolleyes:
its blinking fiddly with the carbs still on the bike.
1996 thunderace