Thunderace clutch rebuild.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Thunderace clutch rebuild.

Post by jcr »

i have started to get clutch slip when i enter the powerband, so im guessing new plates are needed. engine is on 34500 miles.

i took the plates out this evening and will measure the wear tomorrow when its light.

where is the best place to go for parts? is it best to stick with oem?
is a Yamaha dealer the place to go?
1996 thunderace
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

thanks for the reply.
recently did an oil change and used Castrol power 1 10w40 4t semi synthetic.
which is the correct oil according to the Castrol website.

measured the plates and springs today and everything was within service limits.

one thing i did notice though, according to the Haynes manual, the final friction plate should have a notch in one of its tabs, which aligns with some marks on the clutch housing.
i have no idea what purpose/function this serves, but the outer plate in my clutch is the same as all the other friction plates. which im guessing is not good.
1996 thunderace
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

ive looked at the outer housing and there are no aligning holes. so its looks like Haynes have got it wrong :angry:
thanks for all your help creed.

i used an impact gun to release the clutch nut. the Haynes method of putting the bike in gear and having someone press the back brake didnt work.

will it be ok to use the the gun to tighten the nut back up?
1996 thunderace
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

In my search for a decent clutch boss for my genesis I have been looking at exup, yzf 750 and thunderace. Anyway, don,t mean to confuse the alignment mark issue on thunderace but if you look at ebay item number 114891628974 it shows a complete item and there are alignment marks on the left of the housing in the picture. I can,t see a plate notch but the clutch is out and probably not aligned after removal. I have bought quite a few parts from this seller and they are always good, what he says they are and well priced. I have phoned him before and he is a reasonable individual so he could probably answer your question as he will have seen a number of these.
Well I'll be .....
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

im not seeing any marks in the photo?.
1996 thunderace
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Look down the clutch plate tabs. Above the drive teeth on the area that pokes out like a bay has two dots on one of these bay areas and not the others, the two dots are the alignment marks.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

I think you are right. Springs are the best and probably cheapest way to go first.
Well I'll be .....
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I think I need to book in at Specsavers. Are we talking these marks? :lol: :lol:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

If you go up about 1 cm from the tip of the arrow in your picture you will be at the point where the housing bulges out. There at two raised dots on the top lip of the bulge. If you hover over the ebay picture it picks them up much better. It seems these marks appear on genesis, exup and thunderace. If you have a Haynes manual for genesis and exup it seems its they have the clutch right. The diagram in the Haynes manual that shows these dots is on page 3.26 diagram 19.24. if you buy an ebc clutch kit they do away with the plate spring but have an alignment notch on the outermost friction plate. I suspect most aftermarket kits do this as the plate spring leaves really nasty marks in the boss. I will say I had drag issues with ebc plates and refitted my old set and one ebc plate - but I took the edges off the ebc friction plate tang slightly to help it move in the housing. If I was to refit another clutch set it would probably be a surflex. I am still looking for a good condition boss - over to classifieds.
Well I'll be .....
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I fitted Barnett heavier clutch springs to my Exup-R not long after buying it back in '93. I also bought OEM friction plates, soaked them in engine oil & awaited the time when I would need to install them....& that was 55k miles ago.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Don't worry I'll catch up in a minute.

Are these the marks? :lol:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I think I've got them?

jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

nuggitt wrote:Don't worry I'll catch up in a minute.

Are these the marks? :lol:

not quite nuggit. if you look at the black hole just below your arrows, that is oval shaped in the pic. where the friction plate edges slot. theres a tiny circle mark each side of the ridge at the base of the hole.
1996 thunderace
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Third time lucky. I hope.

Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Yes that's them.
Well I'll be .....