Handle bar issue

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Stevexup
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Handle bar issue

Post by Stevexup »

Hi

I have dropped the height of my forks through the yokes to the standard setting, as they were set approx. 1/2" above the the top yoke.

The problem is I discovered a jubilee clip was fitted around the fork leg supporting the washer (6) and damper (5) under the steering arm (1).

Without the jubilee clip there the washer and damper just drop down the fork leg.

First question should the washer be similar to a circlip?? and fit into a recess on the fork leg to hold the rubber damper ring in position? l didn't think to lower the fork leg through the top yoke to check at the time.

I obviously need to get new damper rings but they do not appear to be available through Fowlers, i've not tried anywhere else yet.

If they are N/A what do you guys use?

There is up and down movement on the handlebars despite being tightened up, movement is reduced if the jubilee clip is pressed firmly up against washer.

I hope that all makes sense! Thanks in advance if anyone can offer a solution.

Cheers

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

There should be a wire circling that fits in the groove in the fork leg. This sets the height it goes through the top yolk
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stevexup
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Stevexup »

Hi

Ah that makes sense, the washers currently fitted are just large plain steel washers!

I will source some suitable circlip/snap rings, and hopefully this will sort it.

Thanks again.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

I bet i have a couple if you run into problems finding one that fits right. Shipping would be manageable.
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Are these what you're looking for?

These I have, are on a spare set of good forks which I'm thinking of selling on soon.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stevexup
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Stevexup »

Hi

Yes they're the ones l need, excellent pic! :thumbsup:

l can't justify buying new forks though :)
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Im packing up all my stuff in prep to move, and i put my hands on 2 of those clips. You pay shipping and they are on the way, i have usd's for the bike so the conventional parts are of no use to me.

Just trying to help as i have a fair collection of parts and want them to go to the right home.
90 fzr1k in black, 91 fzr1k parts bike, 05 fz1/fazer daily ride. Thats just the yams.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

bunk wrote:Im packing up all my stuff in prep to move, and i put my hands on 2 of those clips. You pay shipping and they are on the way, i have usd's for the bike so the conventional parts are of no use to me.

Just trying to help as i have a fair collection of parts and want them to go to the right home.
Nice man. :thumbsup:
Forum group at its best 😎😎👍
AKA Bald headed b'stard
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Stig wrote:
bunk wrote:Im packing up all my stuff in prep to move, and i put my hands on 2 of those clips. You pay shipping and they are on the way, i have usd's for the bike so the conventional parts are of no use to me.

Nice man. :thumbsup:
Forum group at its best 😎😎👍
Its a ways out, but once i start on the 90 i'll have a massive list of parts i dont need. I'll keep watching and offering parts til then. Gotta keep these bikes alive and stirring memories, and making them.
Stevexup
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Stevexup »

Hello bunk,

Thank you very much for your kind offer, but now i know what l need l'm hoping l can find something suitable here in the UK.

Happy new year btw, top offer. :thumbsup:
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Stevexup wrote:Hello bunk,

Thank you very much for your kind offer, but now i know what l need l'm hoping l can find something suitable here in the UK.

Happy new year btw, top offer. :thumbsup:
If you cant find them i got you. I even have all the washers etc that stack on top of the clip.
Stevexup
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Stevexup »

bunk

PM sent.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I did away with those circlips when I wanted to move the forks up through the yokes. The parts 1 & 2 are held up by the two bolts #8 on the diagram. Never had a problem. The bars #3 I made out of high quality ally & had them black anodised, as are the bar ends. From the outside it all looks OEM :nod:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Stevexup
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Stevexup »

Hello bunk,

Parts arrived safely today and well packaged, thank you once again for your kind help. :thumbsup:
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Stevexup wrote:Hello bunk,

Parts arrived safely today and well packaged, thank you once again for your kind help. :thumbsup:
Excellent ! Keep them alive and making memories.