Ride to Staithes. Or so I thought

Arrange to meet up to chew the fat, or enjoy a bimble through the twisties.
nuggitt

Ride to Staithes. Or so I thought

Post by nuggitt »

I set off yesterday with all good intentions to go visit the small Seaside Village of Staithes.

First port of call was Northallerton, then on to Great Ayton for lunch. That's a nice little place to stop off at for a break. After lunch I headed for Skelton, Loftus, Easington, Boulby. After passing through Boulby I knew I wasn't far away.

Now unless I'd nodded off for a couple seconds or blinked to long but I completely missed a really big sign saying Staithes industrial estate. When the penny dropped I suddenly realised I was heading into Sandsend near Whitby, so Whitby is where I ended up. After having a coffee and a look at the road map. I realised where I'd gone wrong. :retard: I'll do that route again soon and I'll get it there next time. Setting off rom Clara's coffee shop in Whitby I headed for Robin Hood's Bay which is just south of Whitby.

I got parked up in the car park at the top of Robin Hood's Bay and as I set off walking down the hill to the bottom I thought this hill isn't to bad. Having got to the shoreline and took a few photos. It's a pity the tide was in though.

It was time to set off back up the hill. On the way down I had noticed a lot of people walking back up the hill were gasping for oxygen and thought to myself their very unfit for their age.

I got 50 yards up the hill and I too started to puff, cough and wheeze. At about halfway up I thought my pounding heart was going to burst out of my chest. Stig this beats the hill going up to Lincoln Cathedral ten fold. When I finally got to the top I just managed to drag myself onto a bench and sat there till I composed myself for ten minutes. An evil thought came over me and was thinking about bringing Mike (roadrunner) here, because he has mentioned that I'm in his will. :twisted: :D

From RHB I was going to head for Scarborough until I got a text from a friend who told me Staxton Hill was closed off, so I headed back to Whitby and went over the North York Moors to Pickering, Malton and then onto Seaways for a leg stretch. It was a perfect day for bike riding, and a good temperature too.

Here's a few photos...

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

great pics as usual.
how did Robin Hoods bay get its name?.
1996 thunderace
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

jcr wrote:great pics as usual.
Have a bit of bedtime reading.

CLICK HERE
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

nuggitt wrote:
jcr wrote:great pics as usual.
Have a bit of bedtime reading.

CLICK HERE
not quite as exciting as id hoped, but interesting never the less. :thumbsup:
1996 thunderace