Dust shield question.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

Dust shield question.

Post by nuggitt »

I'm installing some new head race bearings and I have two new dust seals to fit.

After looking at the Haynes manual it doesn't show the FZR1000 model assembly only the FZR750R. On the FZR750R it shows a lower and a upper dust shield.

When I took mine apart it only had the bottom dust shield, so my question is do I fit the top dust shield or not? :retard:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

It should have a dust shield on top of the upper bearing fitted before the first steering stem nut.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Item no 3 on the image

1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've got the large dust cover that you mention.

The other thing I'm having trouble with is, in the manual it reads the bottom ring nut should have the taper facing up , but in the diagram it is showing a flat surface and the top ring nut shows the taper facing upwards. It's this I'm getting lost with?? :retard:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Put the taper down on both, go by the genuine Yamaha manual, the Haynes is wrong.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

All done and put back together. It's been a long job and I feel knackered. I've not tried it out yet, but a test flight will be tomorrow. Fingers crossed It all works as it should.

While I was at it I also changed the coolant.

Thanks Creedxup for pointing me in the right direction with the ring nuts.

jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

well done. that was a quick turnaround.
i look forward to more photos of your outings.
1996 thunderace
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Sounds like the head race bearing could be too tight?

With the weight off the wheel you should be able to tap on the end of the handlebar and it should rotate freely to the stop
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Had a ride to Sherburn cafe bar this evening and I was talking to a friend of mine about my head race bearings. We were wondering what does that rubber ring washer that goes in between the two ring nuts actually do?? Anybody got any ideas? 🤔
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

I should think that the top ring nut, rubber washer and locking tab is a method to lock the lower ring nut and keep it secure without adding any additional torque.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Whilst I was doing the head race bearings. I had to take the tank off just to save it getting damaged. When the tank was off I noticed on the right hand side of the engine a lot of dead insects had gathered in one spot. There were lots of Bee's and I was wondering if anybody else has come across this insect graveyard on their bikes? :lol: :lol:

jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by jcr »

youre Candyman and i claim my five pounds :D
1996 thunderace
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

They must get scooped up by the fairing somehow.

Cheques in the post. 👍