90,91 & 97 engine compatability

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

90,91 & 97 engine compatability

Post by bunk »

I have a raft of fzr1k projects and know that i am going to run into some damaged engines during their recommissioning. I know the 90 has its own oil cooler versus the 91 with a heat exchanger. I figure the ace has the same system. What i am curious about is parts swapping between the 3. Also wondering if the ace engine will bolt into the older fzr frame, and can the fzr carbs bolt to the ace engine? The ace engine has 1003 miles and is pretty much a parts bike.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Thank you ! Heres another question, is there a typical failure point on the exup engines? I see alot of cranks on ebay with damage, and my engine has a knock.
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

In the last 2 years that ive been amassing fzr1k bits every bike ive run into had a knock. Between 8 and 14k miles is the average. fwiw this is the most active board in the world that ive found, fzr's are and their forums are dead in he states :( Im just trying to relive some youth as a 89 was the first literbike i rode. Now i have 4 of them in different states of repair, i just want to get the 90 and 91 going, hopefully i have enough parts.
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

Hi ya
If I had to choose an engine I'd pick the thunderace it has a lighter crank and better midrange clout
What you could do is use the earlier fzr barrels which will give you the exact mounting holes for the frame

Best of luck with the build
And yes this is the ultimate exup forum 👍
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

yzfpaul wrote:Hi ya
If I had to choose an engine I'd pick the thunderace it has a lighter crank and better midrange clout
What you could do is use the earlier fzr barrels which will give you the exact mounting holes for the frame

Best of luck with the build
And yes this is the ultimate exup forum 👍
Im glad i found this place as im pretty invested in all these bits. I am a machinist with machines at home, so making bits and pieces is easily done. I am a fan of keeping factory assembled engines together, so if the 90's engine is too hurt i'll make the ace engine work. Im going to pick up another parts bike next week, a 91 with a knock :(
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

How similar/swapable are the exhaust headers between 90, 91 and 97?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

90 & 91 direct fit. Depending on application the rad has to be spaced out to fit the Exup headers in the ace frame
AKA Bald headed b'stard
bunk
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by bunk »

Stig wrote:90 & 91 direct fit. Depending on application the rad has to be spaced out to fit the Exup headers in the ace frame
That seals the deal, going to sacrifice the 91 to get the 90 going. Its blue/white gray if anyone needs body panels send me a message, i am in Seattle.