Gear selector not re-centering

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/40 ... hift-shaft

From what I remember it's part 4 on the fiche which returns the shaft to its detent position. I'd replaced the gearbox position roller in the past, which is accessible by removing the clutch cover, but I forget if that part 4 is visible behind that cover or is inside the crankcase. Maybe remove the sump plate & have a look
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Sounds like broken or displaced return spring, foreign body near shift mechanism, bent shaft or worn selector components. If the problem is not visible when the clutch cover is off (and clutch basket out probably) then it is more likely to be a bent shaft. If the spring and other components are ok then the shaft will need to be removed and inspected.
Well I'll be .....
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Goshreally2 wrote:Sounds like broken or displaced return spring, foreign body near shift mechanism, bent shaft or worn selector components. If the problem is not visible when the clutch cover is off (and clutch basket out probably) then it is more likely to be a bent shaft. If the spring and other components are ok then the shaft will need to be removed and inspected.
Can the spring be replaced from clutch case and shaft be removed without splitting engine down?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

It can be done without splitting the cases. Once the foot shift is removed, off with sprocket cover, remove bush ,circlip and washer, also relevant components on the clutch side removed, then the shaft can be pulled out. Just out of interest I was thinking - has the bike had any work done on the shift shaft recently and someone forgot to ensure the spring was placed in the correct position on the peg. If not and something has occurred along the way then there is a component failure - hopefully not the peg. There is not much that will bend a shift shaft when it is in the engine under normal use.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Also, if the shaft is bent as it exits the left side of the engine the discrepancy could cause a jam in the foot shift lever mechanism.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Sorry to keep on but once the sprocket cover is off if the shift works ok when using mole grips on the shaft (very carefully) to change the gears then the end is bent near the sprocket cover exit.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Yeah thanks.
Well I'll be .....
Goshreally2
Technician
Technician

Post by Goshreally2 »

Sorry doods, forgot the smiley :D . Creed, I was hoping you would comment on the issue, I would probably bug you if I had a serious issue. Hope matey gets it sorted.
Well I'll be .....