EXUP tyre size

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Paulsx
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

EXUP tyre size

Post by Paulsx »

Hi guys starting to rebuild an exup project and need some new tyres. Originals are 130x60x17 & 170x60x17 looking online. What tyres do people recommend and in what sizes?

Many thanks
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm running Bridgestone S21 EVO. (which I like very much) Sizes are Front 120/70/17 Rear 180/55/17. :D

Last edited by nuggitt on Wed May 26, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Paulsx
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Paulsx »

Ok thanks are the conti road attacks any good?
Nicoxj
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Nicoxj »

I've got :

Front: Dunlop SportSmart 120/70R17
Rear: Michelin 2CT 180/55R17

Regarding the RA, I remember the 1st generation, they were dynamite on my 1988 VFR! I loved them. On the other hand, they were a nightmare in the Duc' 750SS.

I would tend to say they would be great on the FZR, as the RA are just no good with a 180kg bike, but awesome with a 220+kg bike ;-)
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I've had so many different tyres on my Exup-R over the years it was good to find some that felt right & lasted longer than 3,000 miles.

After a friend fitted Michelin PR3s to not only his 2007 Blade but also to his more recently purchased Honda SP2, I fitted them to my Exup in the 120/70 front & 180/55 rear. They suit the bike well & have lasted a lot longer than any other that i've fitted before, even though I rode a 680 mile journey out to Eindhoven the other year with the Mrs on the back & some soft luggage.

Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Used to get 3000 rear and 6000 front from Dunlops on my Exup. Similar from Michelins on my Gixer. By the cringe, did they grip?
Makes the P zeros on my AMG look sensible.
Keep on keepin' on.
odie
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by odie »

Tried most things settled on Bridgestone BT016 pro last average miles, grip well in all weather and they are cheap (comparatively). Demon tweeks were doing a deal on pirelli diablos last time I looked. As for size you cant go wrong with the 120/70 180/55. Did have a set of conti attacks on last and the front wore very strange with steps on the edges of the tread (had the correct pressure) and felt very odd turning in when only half worn.
Teego

Post by Teego »

What a load of retirement bollox. Never busier blah blah. At your age you're just making your house desirable for the next owner. That's like paying for girlfriend's cosmetic surgery and new flat so she'll be ready for the next owner.
15 years ago we had grey hair. Except Paul who had none.

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/meets/matlock_300406.htm
Keep on keepin' on.
Nicoxj
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Nicoxj »

You make me laugh with your fear of getting caught speeding :D

I just had this conversation on a French forum a few days ago: I have had the same fear when I had my VFR. So I decided to cut in half the power (and the number of cylinders), I sold the VFR and bought the Ducati 750SS (from 120 BHP to 62 BHP).

At the end, it was even worse, I was speeding more in twisties than with the VFR: the idea was not to lose speed as the power was not there... My riding became more aggressive, more on the edge, always at the limit.

So I sold it and bought the Exup... back over the 100BHP :unibrow: And my riding reverted to a (almost) slow and smooth ... Well, I try to keep as much as possible the front weel on the tarmac on the throttle, and the rear one as well on the brakes :D

Oh, funny enough, the only points I received (6 in a go) were when I was in the UK, with the least powerful and slowest bike I have had in the past 25 years :paranoid:
Paulsx
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Paulsx »

Cheers guys used the conti's on my XJR1300 but they really dont suit it think bike is too heavy and the front profile too aggressive. I'll have a look about and see what there is