Lurker...

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Lurker...

Post by Coose »

Morning all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks but thought it was time to raise my head and show Project Lockdown 2.
Work has been almost non-existent over the last few months, so to keep me out of trouble I picked up this old girl as a random Sunday morning eSkip purchase....

It'd been stood for 8 years and it showed - seized carbs and rear brake, rusty tank internals etc., but the sum of the component parts certainly made it worth saving.

It turned out that I actually knew the seller, having done a load of work for him a few years ago and he was really pleased that I'd bought it and am planning to do classic track days on it. He advised that it was a race bike in a previous life, where in the documentation that he sent there is info that the head was fettled by Pete Beale, the pipe was made by Peter Gibson and it was chucking out a very solid 148bhp at the wheel on Peter Gibson's dyno (although it had FCR41 carbs then, but sadly they're long gone....).

Bike as received with R7 bodywork: -

Work in progress: -

So, after only a handful of weeks we got to this point. Suspension rebuilt front and back, covers off the motor to have a peek inside, wiring sorted etc. etc....

The seller also advised a couple of weeks after I'd received the bike that he'd found another set of bodywork which was more period and in-keeping with what I was after, and this is about where we are now. It just needs a pair of tyres, the weather to improve and classic track days to recommence!

Pete Beale's handywork: -

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Good morning and welcome to the funny farm. She looks in pretty good nick now and I love the astralites. 👍
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

Why thank you! :)

I suspect you're not too far from me?
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I'm sure that John will be glad to see the bike as it is now. I've got some pics somewhere of that bike when it was painted pink :eek:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

YAMAEXUP wrote:I'm sure that John will be glad to see the bike as it is now. I've got some pics somewhere of that bike when it was painted pink :eek:
He's seen it, don't worry! Although I didn't realise who was selling it, once I rang him to arrange collection we both quickly realised that we knew each other - I did a load of work for him in a different life!
And, I do have the pink fairing and seat for it... :wink:
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

An interesting historical update. After months of searching I've finally found some info on my EXUP's racing past.

It was originally built for a chap called Mike Godwin by Rob May, and then raced for Mike in the North Gloucester M.C.C. by Paul Gardiner in 1993, and then Ian Wiltshire in 1994. It was then sold to Roger Bailey who raced it in 1995, and then sold to John E in 1996 who used it on the road for a few years and then sold it to me.

Mike has kindly filled in the gaps regarding the spec, and did say that John Britten was once at Colerne circuit testing one of his bikes, when he remarked that the EXUP was one of the best built bikes he'd seen! :)

I've found a few photos too...

Paul Gardiner in 1993

Ian Wiltshire in 1994

Roger Bailey in 1995

Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

Yeah, I'm really pleased, even moreso that Mike, Ian and Roger were all happy to talk about it. And, all said just how good it was!

Here's hoping that the forthcoming maiden trackday goes ahead.... :confused:
Coose
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Coose »

Another excellent pic. :)