A ride out yesterday part 1 & 2.

Arrange to meet up to chew the fat, or enjoy a bimble through the twisties.
nuggitt

A ride out yesterday part 1 & 2.

Post by nuggitt »

I left home at 9am yesterday (Thurs) for an early start to the Lake district, Bowness-in- Windermere to be exact. I had my route planned and after seeing the weather forecast the night before which was 50/50 of cloud and drizzle in the Lake district area. After passing through Sherburn in Helmet, Tadcaster, Boston Spa, Collingham, Harewood, Pool in Wharfedale, Otley, Ilkley, Addingham, Draughton and Skipton. As I was nearing Skipton the clouds were looking very black and a bit threatening and I was getting spots of rain on the visor. I made a quick decision and took a right to Grassington on the B6265. Going through Rylstone, Cracoe, Threshfield and on to Grassington.

After a lovely scone and tea at the Stripey Badger coffee shop in Grassington I set off back to Threshfield were you take a right to Kilnsey, Kettlewell, Buckden, Kidstones, West Burton and then on to Aysgarth. In Aysgarth I stopped to take a photo of the water falls which were magnificent. Moving on to Carpenby then left for Woodhall and then to Askrigg village which is very quaint.

From Askrigg I set off for Hawes via Bainbridge on the A684. Hawes was heaving with bikers and after a walk around the town I set off back to Aysgarth again and then on to Leyburn for an ice cream stop.

From Leyburn it was on to Middleham, Jervaulx, Masham and took a left at Low Burton for Nosterfield, Ainderby Quernhow, Skipton on Swale, Carlton Miniott and Thirsk for a toilet break. It was time to head home from Thirsk heading for Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe, Sproxton, Oswaldkirk, Gilling East, Brandsby, Marton Abbey, Stillington, Sutton-on-the-Forest then on to the York bypass and home. I arrived home at 4.30pm and covered 217 miles in total and my backside felt a bit numb. I don't think I'll be putting my name down for the Iron Butt bike club. :lol: :lol:

Not many, but a few photos for you showing the lovely yorkshire Dales. :nod:

Last edited by nuggitt on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Having come home after aborting this ride out to the Lake district after my last attempt.

I set off again yesterday (Tuesday) to complete the journey to Bowness on Windermere. It was another 9am start and I'll continue with is write up from where I left off at skipton where I did a runner to grassington because it started to drizzle.

From Skipton on the A65 to Gargrave, Hellifield, Clapham, Cowan Bridge and I pulled in at Kirkby Lonsdale for a leg stretch and a bum rub. :blush:

From there to Foulstones, Nook and over the M6 to Sizergh A591 and the over the A6 and further on at the Egg shaped roundabout (Google Earth) I took a left onto the A5284 to Bonning gate, Crook, Mitchelland, but unfortunately they'd just dumped a load of chippings on the road and that lasted for over 5 miles. I could be a speedway rider now. At the T junc it was a left and then a right onto the B8285 into Bowness on the A592. It was good to see that they have a big bike parking bay there and free. :D

To Bowness and back to home was 223 miles in total.

Here's a few photos for you and I hope I haven't sent you all to sleep with this boring drivle? :lol: :lol:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.