OTHER BIKE DISCUSSION - '86 FJ1200

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

An excellent post as usual That silver and blue Seca looks like an RD350LC with a 4cyl motor. Interesting.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Great post. The FJ is very competent all rounder. Let me know if you want any stainless dog bones for a jack up kit 👍

Ever thought of doing 2 strokes such as the 350LC? Or RZ over your side of the pond?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I too have a vintage FJ1200 that I use for extensive travels around the Continent. The idea of having a top box & hard panniers bolted to the Exup-R just doesn't tick any boxes. My FJ wasn't in a very good condition & although it did run the shims were miles out, the carbs needed a good clean & the frame had some severe corrosion where the wiring loom rubs up the right side nearest to the cylinder head.

As for Stig's shorter dogbones, I fitted these as I have done to my Exup-R & together with the Exup rear wheel conversion they defo make a difference to the way the bike looks & rides.
(Unfortunately I can't post pics atm as photobucket have changed their Ts & Cs that I don't agree with)
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

As for a 'bucket list' I don't have one as I own 6 bikes that tick all of my needs, from enduro to super motard to sport bikes as well as the touring bike. All great fun in their own way :unibrow:

www.blood.co.uk
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

postimage or imagur(?Sp?) - FJ Quick Update

Post by kboehringer »

YAMAEXUP wrote:(Unfortunately I can't post pics atm as photobucket have changed their Ts & Cs that I don't agree with)
YAMAEXUP,
I think we all know the pain caused by the PhotoBucket change in terms. Their changes have basically destroyed several web-sites I use to (and sometimes still do) visit. Many photos in technical sections of various sites that were a great resource are now long gone. Many were posted years ago but were still valuable until all the photos became error messages.

Personally, I uses Postimage while many of my friends use imgur.

Here's a quickie update on my new FJ project....

When received neither the brake mast or clutch master worked at all. Fortunately, the PO was buying parts to fix it (although it seems certain he hadn't a clue how to perform the repairs). I received a perfect brand new Brake Master and a used very good condition spare Clutch Master from the seller. Both of these have been placed into service and both systems are now functional.

Unfortunately, the clutch slave had apparently sprung a leak sitting so many years and in addition to needing a complete rebuild (same kit as the FZR), the side cover paint was eaten off by the fluid...

All back together and working great. Rather than re-paint the cover I just cleaned it up and polished it. I actually don't think I like the "Look" of this polished as the motor is supposed to be black. When spring hits I think I'll paint it properly? Thoughts?

NOW, replacement forks have arrived and it's time to tackle one of the big problems....

I'd love to know how the hell the PO did this? There should be significant damage to the rest of the machine with a hit like this but there isn't. I see no indication of a frame issue or anything wrong with the trees. Wonder if he backed over this with his car or something?

It should be running before the weekend with a front end that points the correct direction...

Thoughts?
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia USA
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Only a short sleep... 71+ Degrees this weekend

Post by kboehringer »

Although I'm a bit distracted with the FJ repairs...My favorite bike will be out this weekend..... The weather forecast is for 71+ degrees on Saturday.... WOW that's like 25 degrees above normal for this time of year in Atlanta.

Not as hard to get out as it looks.... the FZR will be out on Saturday & Sunday!

Image[/i]
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Sorry I'm a bit late with this reply re: bucket list.

I seem to be stuck in a bit of a time warp because there isn't much I fancy. I do have a small craving for Ducati 916.

I'd love to have a play on this beauty though. (FZR time warp)

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I recollect that polished Exup Nuggitt. I think that it was in 'Streetfighters' mag a few years ago. I might even have the article stashed away in a folder. I tend not to keep the magazines but I do remove the interesting pages for future reference.

As for the gearbox sprocket cover on that FJ1200 kboe, the one on my 3XW was quite severely corroded from a leaking slave cylinder seal. I stripped off the rest of the black paint & then polished it. In my mind it looks a lot better. The oil filter housing was also affected, so I did the same with that, but left the undamaged paint on the slave piston housing. I did make the comment on the FJ-UK page on f/b that the internal seals could be affected by petrol leaking from the carbs when they overflow...but several forumites said it's best to check the pipes from the float bowl overflows & to route them accordingly.
Shame about that fork leg... :angry:

www.blood.co.uk
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Just remembered that when I rebuilt my FJ1200 the slave cylinder piston was quite corroded. Having machined a direct replacement piston for my Exup-R from dural & then anodising it black, I knew that I had the OEM piston in my box of Exup parts. It's slightly different to the FJ part but the dimensions are the same where it matters. But the FJ part looks like it might tilt slightly in the bore of the slave. When I fitted the Exup part to my FJ it gives the clutch lever pull a better feel. Unfortunately the piston isn't available as a seperate item otherwise several people on the FJ f/b page would've bought them. Maybe i'll gear up & machine a few....

www.blood.co.uk
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

IT RUNS... WELL!! - I think the t-shirt helped

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,
Looks like we have a winner here! Runs nice & smooth!

I am always afraid when I purchase a NON-RUNNER. I could have ended up with a bike with a blown motor. All indications were that a long period of inactivity led to carb issues but one really never knows why the bike was parked.

I got all the carbs put back together and installed, mostly like putting together a jig-saw puzzle without the photo of the finished product. The PO had removed the carbs.

The manual is useful but doesn't cover every nut & bolt or every cable & tie. Fortunately, I was able to figure it out.

Before starting, I decided to better have a look at the air filter just to make sure it actually had one..... FOUND THIS:

Seems a field mouse or other small critter was using the air box as a nest. He had a bunch of grass seed piled up in here too! Guess he was planning on a long winter.... VERY GLAD I LOOKED FIRST!

But, the machine runs. The brakes are all crap so that's the next project. I can take a breather and relax a bit knowing the motor sounds EXCELLENT. No point in buying brake parts for a bike that has a bad motor....

Anyone recognize the T-Shirt?

I'll keep you posted but I expect to slow down a bit now that I am sure of the motor.

Sincerely,
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Kurt, Bit of a ride out from yours to Squires Cafe. Did you see Nuggitt there by any chance :lol: :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Nothing to do with me. Never met him before in my life. :D

Speaking of T shirts.

As they say exchange is no robbery. :D :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

FJ1200 - Stuck in the house.... Making some progress

Post by kboehringer »

FIRST - I hope all of my friends here are doing well and none have contracted the Corona Virus. My Family is fine although my sister was exposed to a person with a confirmed case. So far, she has no signs of the virus, I believe she was tested and awaiting results. I rarely see my sister in person so I have not been exposed to her.

My area is OK although just north of me several of the local municipalities have restricted travel and closed many businesses (mostly restaurants & similar). Otherwise, life is relatively normal. I HOPE YOURS IS THE SAME!

This past week, in compliance with "SOCIAL DISTANCING" I drove a bike to work (52 miles 1 way) 4 of 5 days. I drove a different bike each day.
I drove this one on Friday. 1981 XS1100 (modified).

X X X X X X X X X X X X

FZR Friends,
Making a LITTLE progress this weekend on the "Other Bike".

Got all the mis-colored pieces prepared and primed.

Found the time to get the Pearl White onto the belly pan.
Gotta keep moving it around the lawn so it stayed in the direct sunlight while it dried.

Since it seems the correct decals are like unobtainium (?), I'm gonna try to paint the Stormy Red accent onto the belly pan when I paint the fender tomorrow (weather permitting).

I also received new front wheel bearings from RPM yesterday and a clutch safety switch from Evil-Bay.

I may delay the bearings until the new tires are here. Keep from pulling front wheel off twice....I don't plan on driving until the brake lines, tires, and front wheel bearings are all replaced..

Hopefully, the bike will be ready to roll at the start of summer. In the meantime, I have plenty of bikes to ride. I won't drive this one again until I am SURE it is ready!!
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

More progress

Post by kboehringer »

The red turned out very good. But, it needs to dry a couple days before I can put it on.
Kurt Boehringer
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

That looks well :thumbsup:
AKA Bald headed b'stard