UK Lighting vs. USA Lighting (92 FZR 1000)

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
kboehringer
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

UK Lighting vs. USA Lighting (92 FZR 1000)

Post by kboehringer »

FZR Friends,

I'm planning to convert the lighting/controls on my USA Model FZR 1000 to the UK style. I dislike the "block-off" plate that is OEM over here for the passing light found on UK models. I also think the passing lamp would be useful (i.e. "GET YOUR SLOW ASS HARLEY DAVIDSON OUT OF MY WAY") :D :D :D

I have already received a left control in great shape from a UK e-bayer and the front wiring harness is on the way from another UK seller.

This is the USA style lamp control:

The UK version I recently purchased:

I'm studying the UK wiring diagram and have a question I can't seem to determine from the diagram: Are the forward turn signals dual filament in the UK? Are the forward turn signals illuminated at all times on a UK model?

In the USA, all the more modern bikes have dual filament FRONT turn signals and one is burning at all times. This additional lighting is a "Safety" feature required over here on bikes since about the mid-80's. As you UK guys are aware from my other post, we have reflectors all the hell all over the bike as well that are not standard equipment in the UK.

Just wondering about the front signals.......

KURT
Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia USA
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Hello Kurt.

As far as I'm aware our indicator bulbs are a single filament and no we don't run with them on all the time.

As for reflectors we don't have them on these bikes but they are now fitting them on to new models. A few years ago we had to fit a small round reflector on the rear number plate. It's all to do with the EU beaurocrates. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.