manual cam chain tensioner

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

manual cam chain tensioner

Post by Crazy L »

Any good? I have a slight rattle on my Ace. I have removed, reset and reinstalled the OE tensioner (Something I used to do on my 'Cat) and it has subsided a little but I wonder the springs are past their best so can't push the tensioner over the next tooth.

So, a lot of people recommend manual jobbies (a la Firestorms et al) but I wonder if they're any good.
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Well, the mystery continues then, cos well over 200 people on here don't freakin' either :D
Answer RC
Sworkz
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Never had any dealings with the manual tensioner or heard of anyone fitting such to the Exup
AKA Bald headed b'stard
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Same with Stig, i've never had a problem with my CCT. I've got a slight rattle on my FZR-R & having investigated whether it's the valve clearances that needed doing I found one thatwas slightly on the limit. I changed the shim just to be on the safe side & the slight rattle still persisted.

Years ago I had a slight rattle on a CB550F that I used as a commuter bike. I dropped the engine out, removed the bottom crankcase & checked all of the big & main bearings & found nothing untoward. I reinstalled the engine & put the same fresh oil back into the engine that i'd tried before the engine stripdown...& the slight rattle had disappeared :rolleyes: The bike then ran ok for the next 15,000 miles without a problem before I sold it to a friend who rode the bike for another 17,000 miles before he sold it.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Tis a strange one. I did valve clearances not long ago. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, I know I'm probably due an oil change now so I'll start with that. I know there shouldn't be a problem, I did 79k on my Thundercat before I sold her on, and that was on original tensioner and chain.
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

I have another quick question then. If she rattles a bit on 10/40, and nothing is wrong, should I now use a different grade oil? Go up 5w for example?

Any input greatly appreciated.
Answer RC
Sworkz
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If it's only a summer bike it won't hurt
AKA Bald headed b'stard
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I've been using Halfreuds bike specific semi-synth oil in the R1, Exup & XR-SM for years without any problems, but I use a mineral 10/40 in the FJ1200 as it's air cooled & I tend to replace the oil more regularly on that engine.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

YAMAEXUP wrote:I've been using Halfreuds bike specific semi-synth oil in the R1, Exup & XR-SM for years without any problems.
I've always been a Silkolene kinda guy.
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Stig wrote:If it's only a summer bike it won't hurt
she comes out in the winter too, but only on a nice day now. When it's a tad poo out, it's Tiger 800 XC o'clock.
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

the rattle persists :(
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Ok, so since I last posted here, we have all been locked in our houses and struggled for loo roll, but as we're all back out and I taxed my 'ace after sorning it at the start of May, I have something to share.

Upon firing it up last weekend, on the button I might add (a bosch battery and super in the tank) that damn rattle started up with it.

However, upon closer inspection, I saw one of my header flanges were a bit wonky.
Knowing I would never mount a header flange like that, I got my hand in there somehow and found a header nut was loose. In fact, a couple were like it, so I tightened them up and fired the bike up this morning to go to work and hey presto, the rattle has gone.

I consider this now solved.
Answer RC
Sworkz