Thought I had better get some new tyres lol

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Thought I had better get some new tyres lol

Post by jas328sport »

Was working out the other day just how old my tyres were, I had them fitted when I first bought the bike, the rear was bought new but the front was a used one so no idea how old it already was at the time, what I do know though is that they were fitted over 19 years ago :lol:
They still looked like new but I thought that as I am clocking up some miles at last this year then I had better get some new ones as they can't have been very safe at that age :paranoid:
I decided on a pair of diablos and had them fitted today but what an ass hole of a job that was as I removed the wheels to save a few quid and the rear was a feckin nightmare to get back in, to be fair it was the first time it had been out in 19 years though. The fitter asked how old the old tyres were as he said they were rock hard and an absolute pig to get off :D
Can't wait to see how it feels tomorrow on a nice new pair.
[/list]
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

19 years, Jesus!!

I think all your Christmas's will come all at once today.

I once had a pair that were over 10 year's old and they'd gone hard and no grip what so ever. My tyre man told me tyres have a 5 year shelf life. I'm inclined to believe him.

Enjoy your new experience of having proper grip today. Bet you come back with a big grin on your face. :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Well that was certainly an eye opener, I never realised that an old bus like the fzr could feel so planted. I have always struggled to keep a tight line on faster corners and have had many scary moments over the years, not today though, after about 10 miles of gentle riding I started to open it up and couldn't quite believe how much better it feels. I also spent most of yesterday putting it back to stock and refitting the fairing etc and it just feels so much easier to ride quickly now. Only downside is that I am going to have to watch out that I don't get myself in trouble now as silly speeds are just too easy.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Nothing refreshes a bike like new sticky tyres with a nice V profile. Tip and go.
Keep on keepin' on.