genesis/exup hybrid

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
krazyneil
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

genesis/exup hybrid

Post by krazyneil »

I recently bought a genesis 1000 which has been fitted with exup top end ,I had a funeral to go to Monday in Doncaster so had to put her on the road quickish
now bearing in mind the first ride was to mot it Saturday ,then it was stripped and matt blacked sunday ready for early Monday ,I noticed on the trip there that it was hesitant /rough around 3/3.5k rpm ,under or over that it seemed fine and pulled pretty good though I wasn't thrashing it lol
so any thoughts on what could cause this ?
seems odd to be just around that 500rpm mark ,if the jetting was out id have thought you notice it all through the rev range
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Which cdi you using? Maybe it's looking for Exup servo actuator?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
krazyneil
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by krazyneil »

its all genesis except from the barrel/head ect
so its using genny carbs/cdi ect
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

Genesis engine is very picky when it comes to fitting anything other than standard exhaust & or air filters. If you have after market versions of either it will cause the mentioned flat spot at 3.5-4000 rpm. FZ750 engine is the same. Jets, altering needle heights etc will mask it slightly but the whole reason Yamaha went to the exup was to cure this problem. You can either spend loads of time & money trying to sort it, live with it or fit an exup engine complete with working exhaust valve.
Life's short & it's hard like a body building elf