Handlebars not straight

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Handlebars not straight

Post by jas328sport »

OK last question for a while....... I hope :D
When riding my bars are not straight, as far as I can remember it has always been like this but is much more noticeable since the bar conversion. Is there a way of sorting this or is it where something is actually bent.
Graham Crayon
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Graham Crayon »

My first Fazer 1000 was like this. I tried loosening all the yoke bolts & twisting the bars whilst holding the wheel straight. no good. New bottom yoke didn't sort it. Old one was obviously bent. I noticed the welds on the head stock had a bit of paint flaking off on one side only so decided the bike had been in a fairly hefty frontal impact & the frame was bent. Broke it for spares.
Hope that hasn't depressed you too much but there was no way I was going to ride a 160mph bike with that on my mind. Yours could just need twisting straight..
Life's short & it's hard like a body building elf
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Graham Crayon wrote: Hope that hasn't depressed you too much but there was no way I was going to ride a 160mph bike with that on my mind. Yours could just need twisting straight..
I bloody hope so :eek:
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

First thing to do before you get in too deep.
Get the bike on a paddock stand.
Slacken off the bottom fork bolts - but not the top!!! and the front axle pinch bolts.
Grab the front wheel between your knees.
Move the handlebars from side to side.
If you hear or feel a slight click it means the forks have twisted in the yokes and they have settled back.
10 minute job.
Don't know how it happens - potholes maybe - but this fixed mine.
Keep on keepin' on.