Thermoswitch

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

okay, so just read the workshop manual and it says it should give continuity at 105. I tested at 100, so may need to see if that extra temperature is enough to get it to closed and put the fan.

Still like a linky if there is a low cost auto option.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

Oh.......and have you considered fitting an override switch in case you are in heavy traffic and the fan doesn't come on?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've done that overide switch conversion all thanks to oldskool. Its worth doing especially when your stuck in traffic on a hot sunny day, like I am on Scarborough sea front. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

nuggitt wrote:I've done that overide switch conversion all thanks to oldskool. Its worth doing especially when your stuck in traffic on a hot sunny day, like I am on Scarborough sea front. :nod:
How hot can Scarborough get John? :nod:
&
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

yeah, i saw that kawa switch - ill probably order one of those.

As I am unsure now if it broke, im gonna fit a bypass switch in. for the sake of 10 mins work, its better than omg-hgf and a warped head.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Hang fire pilinggas

I maybe onto something. I'm just going to ask an expert friend of mine a question.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

oldskoolexup wrote: :nod:
How hot can Scarborough get John? :nod:[/quote]

I don't think you realise that Scarborough is near the Equator line.

PS: I've sent you a PM.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Pilinggas. I've just been asking oldskool about this one I found. It's a bit more expensive than the cheap Chinese one.

THERMO SWITCH

As for the Chinese one I've just chucked them a cheeky offer of a fiver. I'm just waiting for a nice reply from them. I may find out what F**K OFF is in Chinese shortly. :lol: :lol:
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

pilninggas wrote:yeah, i saw that kawa switch - ill probably order one of those.

As I am unsure now if it broke, im gonna fit a bypass switch in. for the sake of 10 mins work, its better than omg-hgf and a warped head.
As any of these thermoswitches can fail without warning, I fitted an override switch too, "just in case".. .......I reckon the Kawasaki advertised one on e*ay will do and is cheap BUT without trying it, we have no idea of quality...BUT...I am so looking forward to John(Nuggit) educating us in Chinese though!!!! :nod:
&
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

thanks for those links, did see the chinese kawa 250 switch and may still add a bypass switch.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

OGRI wrote:...............from experience the engine is very,very hot when they come on std temp..................
Yup.......and if switch fails and goes unnoticed........potential bang......hence switch override.....but mr yamaha must have known what he was doing....surely?? :eek:.......thoughts lads??????
&
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Yes, When I first noticed the high temp, I was in Rotterdam in heavy traffic, a right bum twitcher. It has not happened to that degree before or since.
The heat given off was highly noticable, the gauge was high in its range but not dangerously so, a very slight whif of oil fumes too. I pulled over off the ring road and took a break.
I can understand your override switch, it could come in handy, if you are paying attention to the bike. If not as you surmise, then the end result could be the same bang.
I just expect the thermoswitches to be reliable, the other two I have are 28yrs old and still going.
Pulling over and having a fag, is my override lol.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Sorry to drag this back up but I noticed mine getting pretty hot the other day when I was out on it, it was reaching well over halfway on the temp gauge before the fan kicked in. I have a 150 mile ride out for charity coming up in the next 2 weeks which is the furthest I will ever have ridden it in the 20 odd years that I have owned it so want everything as tip top as I can get it.
What temp switch is now recommended and what is this over ride that I see mentioned. Is the temp switch and coolant change an easy enough job to do.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Brilliant thanks, I reckon I can probably find one of those switches knocking around at work.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Here's the photo of the position where I fitted mine. I rolled a bit of insulation tape around the bar then a small jubilee clip to fasten it.

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of which of the terminals I fitted the piggy back terminal to on the sender unit. I don't fancy taking the panels off just to find out.

I do know if you connect it to the wrong one it will chuck a bit of antifreeze out through the overflow pipe. When I do my antifreeze change I'll take a photo of it for future reference.