Help with my new bike please

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Help with my new bike please

Post by Justincoleman »

Hi all. I originally had a Fzr600r then had a Honda vtr firestorm for a short stint and missed the fzr so just got another fzr but I got the Fzr1000 exup this time. God I love this bike. But for some reason.
If I go over 4000rpm in 1sr or 2nd gear it splutters and won't rev past 4000 or 5000rpm and when it starts spluttering like that and I change up to 3rd gear it will be fine up to 4000 rpm then starts spluttering again and the same in 4th and 5th gear. Then if I take it steady for about half a mile it goes back to normal. As long as I don't go over 4000rpm in 1st or 2nd then 3rd 4th and 5th runs smooth all the way up to red line. Please can somebody help me
Thanks. Picture is of my new bike
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

May be a stuck Exup valve. It's located on the left side under a chrome cover just behind the side stand. Take the cover off and you should be able to rotate the pulley wheel. There will be a bit of resistance from the servo pulley at the other end of the cables if they're still attached
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

Brilliant thank you I shall have a look tonight when the little monsters are in bed tonight.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Deffo the Exup valve sticking. I think Nuggit did a how to fix post. I'm sure he'll be along when the pub closes.
Keep on keepin' on.
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Just be prepared that the bolts will probably be seized in and may shear when you try and undo them.
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

This is how I found it when I took the cover off. Someone says it needs adjusting. Can anyone let me know how I adjust it? Many thanks
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

I could actually turn it, it was a bit stiff but moved but someone said it needs adjusting as it needs to be level with the little hole
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Sorry I'm late in answering Justin.

Have a read of this. It may help.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

Thanks for the help guys. Think I may gave found the problem. Took a little video, is there anyway to share a video on here? Or could I send it to someone's email address so they could have a look? Many thanks everyone
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

You could use YouTube then post the link onto here. If you have a problem I'll send you my email address. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm not quite sure what you're showing us. I can see the fork prongs are not lined up with the hole properly. There seems to be a lot of play in the cable your touching. Are both cables ok and not one isn't broken anywhere?
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

Yes that's exactly what I am showing you. The pulley moves when the bike is revved but doesn't line up with the hole or reset over the hole and one of the cables is really slack. So I am hoping I will just be able to loosen the cables adjust the pulley so the fork is over the hole use something to put through the fork and little hole and tighten cables up to where they should be. Does the whole tank need to come of completely or can it just be moved out the way to get to the cables. Does that sound like the right procedure? Thanks again. I really appreciate the help
Justincoleman
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Justincoleman »

One of the cables is fine nice and tight but like I said in previous comment the other one is slack. Is there a way to find out if it is snapped without having to remove the tank? Or is it a case of getting the tank of to have a look?