My VIN shows up as Invalid - but its on the bike, title, etc

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
ToddBikes
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

My VIN shows up as Invalid - but its on the bike, title, etc

Post by ToddBikes »

Purchased a project FZR1000 and the VIN that is on the bike, title and bike sticker all match - but Yamaha dealers can't find it as it comes back as "Invalid". MFG date of the bike shows 1/89.

Any thoughts as to why the bike would come back is "invalid"?

JYA3LKE00KA000520 is the VIN.

The bike doesn't have any EXUP pipe or other parts for the EXUP but could be previous owners took it all off. Don't know much about history of the bike. Engine stamp matches the last half of the VIN

However, if its a JYA - its an EXUP correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Do you have a picture of the bike?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
ToddBikes
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ToddBikes »

Yes. I have a few or can take more easily. LMK what you want to see?
ToddBikes
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ToddBikes »

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've just keyed in your frame number into here and it's come up with this....

https://vindecoder.eu/check-vin/JYA3LKE00KA000520

????
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
ToddBikes
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ToddBikes »

nuggitt wrote:I've just keyed in your frame number into here and it's come up with this....

https://vindecoder.eu/check-vin/JYA3LKE00KA000520

????
Thanks - that's more than the Yamaha dealer could get. What does the "B" mean? On the web when I search for it - refers more often to a '91 model? How do I tell if its an EXUP? I assume it is because of MFG date?
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've been searching on here and the nearest I can get to is a C. Could it be a Grey import from Japan or Europe? Totally baffled. :retard:

CLICK HERE
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Exup was released in 89 and then revised in 91. From the pictures you supplied it appears to be 89 model but could have been registered late hence the 91 link

I've just checked my paperwork and my VIN states 3LG. Mine is a 90 and shows later paint scheme than yours.
You'll be lucky to find new OEM hoses for either models. Best bet would be a breakers if you dont already have the originals
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

OK, here's my dime's worth.
Your bike is an official US market machine - FZR1000W. 1989 model. You are lucky it's not the choked off FZR1000WC California spec.
It is an EXUP but a previous owner probably stripped the valve out for spurious performance gains - idiot.

The key model identifier for parts is 3LK which is for USA but this doesn't come up on many parts systems. The European equivalent is 3LE or 3LG. Since your bike isn't Cali spec I'm sure Euro parts will do the job.

I think you can get parts in the UK from Fowlers but they will be on backorder not ex-stock.

Your best friends are probably a bike breaker/recycler or ebay (and don't limit your search to the US). Good luck with the project.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Just out of curiosity, is the EXUP servo still
Plugged into the CDI? There should be a round multi-pin connector for the R model
AKA Bald headed b'stard
ToddBikes
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ToddBikes »

Stig wrote:Just out of curiosity, is the EXUP servo still
Plugged into the CDI? There should be a round multi-pin connector for the R model
No, the EXUP is gone from the headers (just normal aftermarket that is in fact rusted) and nothing plugged into the CDI - wondered what that round plug was but now that makes sense. Thanks.
ToddBikes
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ToddBikes »

nuggitt wrote:I've been searching on here and the nearest I can get to is a C. Could it be a Grey import from Japan or Europe? Totally baffled. :retard:]
What's a Grey Market import - it was a legal bike I would assume? The B comes from the factory doesn't it?
ToddBikes
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ToddBikes »

nuggitt wrote:I've been searching on here and the nearest I can get to is a C. Could it be a Grey import from Japan or Europe? Totally baffled. :retard:]
I noticed on the Fowlers website that when you look for parts, the following list of bikes are listed - Note the "A" and "B" for each one.

Also, anyone know what model of the ones listed below would be closest to mine which is 3LK?

mobil1
Considerably Faster than Yeow!
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by mobil1 »

I've had trouble finding mine. I believe mine is a French import. It's registered as an age related 94 but if say it was a 92-93.
I've just punched my frame No in and it's to short it says. It should be 17 numbers long. Mine is only 9 including the 3LF.
It's never bothered me being an import but I'd like to know for sure.
Play Safe! Play Hard!!