Valve Cover Gasket/Rocker cover gasket.... %$^$^$# sake!!!

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
englishmatt
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Valve Cover Gasket/Rocker cover gasket.... %$^$^$# sake!!!

Post by englishmatt »

Team,

So I'm looking for some help/advice on why I cannot seem to replace the valve cover/rocker cover gasket without it leaking? I'm not a newbie, I'm a meticulous wrench and have worked on bikes for 30+ yrs... but this is driving me nuts.

The issue is that when the rubber gasket is installed, then torqued down it all looks great. Start the motor, all looks great. Take the bike out and the left side Front or Rear Cam Lob shaped rubber (crescent shape) seems to get "sucked" in slightly and cause a slight gap....

.... which when the bike goes on the side stand leaks nice clean oil down the side of the motor and on the floor.

I'm only using YMMC OEM gaskets, I've gone through TWO of them and I just cannot get this F&*%^ thing to seal correctly. When the lobe gets sucked it, it literally slices off the little rubber lip on the gasket designed to stop this happening.

Why would there by any negative pressure in the CAM area that would cause the crescent shaped rubber part to get compromised? Is it a blocked PCV valve issue?

I've followed the criss-cross tightening perfectly. I've used a light coating of RTV to "hold" the gasket in place...is that the issue?

I'm not using YAMABOND... is that the secret?

Any insight as to what's causing this issue would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Matt.
1990 FZR 1000 EXUP - Black/Grey
2017 KTM 1290 SA-R
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Not had this issue but I feel your pain

Do you let the rtv sealant holding in the crescent set before starting up the motor?

Being as the rtv is a silicone it's also like a lube when wet which may allow any pressure to influence where the crescent goes
AKA Bald headed b'stard
englishmatt
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by englishmatt »

Stig wrote:Not had this issue but I feel your pain

Do you let the rtv sealant holding in the crescent set before starting up the motor?

Being as the rtv is a silicone it's also like a lube when wet which may allow any pressure to influence where the crescent goes
I thought I left it long enough but may be not. I left it overnight?!?!

I had thought that even when cured, perhaps the RTV was slick on the smooth alloy and as such allowing the gasket to move under heat/torque pressure.

I have no idea...
2017 KTM 1290 SA-R
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Hello Matt, If your rtv didn`t cure overnight, I would suspect it first, cos its cheap and fairly easy to use a different brand, depending on how clean you can get the now old gasket.
You are so lucky being in USA, all the good automotive stuff is available.
I got a tip from a UK Chrysler Mopar dealer here. Within the auto industry their Mopar rtv is highly respected. They use it even without gaskets on rear diff casings, where there should be gaskets in place.
It comes in a white plastic tube just like toothpaste and has blue and red text, the contents is black it is standard for all Mopar (Top Name for a reason) Vehicles.
Hope you get it fixed. OGRI.
englishmatt
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by englishmatt »

OGRI wrote:Hello Matt, If your rtv didn`t cure overnight, I would suspect it first, cos its cheap and fairly easy to use a different brand, depending on how clean you can get the now old gasket.
You are so lucky being in USA, all the good automotive stuff is available.
I got a tip from a UK Chrysler Mopar dealer here. Within the auto industry their Mopar rtv is highly respected. They use it even without gaskets on rear diff casings, where there should be gaskets in place.
It comes in a white plastic tube just like toothpaste and has blue and red text, the contents is black it is standard for all Mopar (Top Name for a reason) Vehicles.
Hope you get it fixed. OGRI.
Thanks for the tip. Buddy of mine keep telling me to us Permatex Permanent Gasket maker, which is also "black" (maybe the same stuff).

I will research the Chrysler sealant.

I do have another brand new gasket to use rather than trying to salvage the new/now old one. I am suspecting the RTV is the culprit.

That said, I've got about 6 more weeks of riding here then I plan to take the carbs out, sonic clean them etc... That sounds like a good time to rip the valve cover off again and have a thid go at it.

No-one believes this is a negative pressure issue right? Just shitty RTV issue...correct?
2017 KTM 1290 SA-R
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Hi Matt, Chrysler is long gone now, only Mopar remains. The race and Top Fuel Hemi`s are still today world record holders.
I can vouch for the rtv, it fitted gasketless to my 4.0lt diff cover, that should of had a gasket, my mate was service manager for Chrysler and they had stopped stocking the gaskets cos the rtv alone made a better seal.
The word permanent, should of raised your suspicion, you do not permanent gloop anywhere near your valvetrain, the next time you have to remove the rocker covers you will wish you were never born mate. OGRI
englishmatt
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by englishmatt »

OGRI wrote:Hi Matt, Chrysler is long gone now, only Mopar remains. The race and Top Fuel Hemi`s are still today world record holders.
I can vouch for the rtv, it fitted gasketless to my 4.0lt diff cover, that should of had a gasket, my mate was service manager for Chrysler and they had stopped stocking the gaskets cos the rtv alone made a better seal.
The word permanent, should of raised your suspicion, you do not permanent gloop anywhere near your valvetrain, the next time you have to remove the rocker covers you will wish you were never born mate. OGRI
LOL - Thanks mate. Wishing I was never born sounds like a typical Monday morning.

Thanks much.
2017 KTM 1290 SA-R
OGRI
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by OGRI »

Hi Matt, I googled Mopar rtv and you can get it in the states for less than $10
It slightly expands on touching engine oil, further enhancing the seal, it is a unique product. There is rtv and then there is Mopar RTV. Have a look at these stats from wiki.
A top fuel dragster accelerates from a standstill to 100 mph in as little as 0.8 seconds (less than one third the time required by a production Porsche 911 Turbo to reach 60 mph)[1] and can exceed 280 mph in just 660 feet. This subjects the driver to an average acceleration of about 39 m/s2 (4.0 g0) over the duration of the race and with a peak of over 55 m/s2 (5.6 g0).
The engine used to power a Top Fuel drag racing car follows the basic layout found in the second generation Chrysler 426cubic inch Hemi "Elephant Engine" made from 1964-71. But based on a design from the early 1950`s.
In over 50years nothing has ever matched the Iconic American Muscle cars. The Chrysler Hemi is without equal now and probably forever.
If you want to hear a tragic tale, of world records, vast riches, strife and murder, read the story of Mickey Thompson yes the Tyre Guy, but he was so much more. A fascinating true story. Ogri.