DIY shock refurb

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Should know better
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

DIY shock refurb

Post by Should know better »

Hi folks, just in the process of giving my recently purchased FZR 1000 Genesis a thorough overhaul/refurb. So far so good I have the rear end totally striped down ready for powder coat/paint, now I`m torn as what to do with the rear shock-it is the basic of basic ones (no pre load or oil reservoir just a spring basically) it doesnt leak nor is the rod pitted and the bump stop is fine which leads me to think not a lot would be gained by sending it of for a refurb- would you say this is the case or not. It wont be used on track days just a nice sunny day out for a hour or two bike :) . Any thoughts/ideas gratfully received.

Thanks, Sean.
dannyrok
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

shock

Post by dannyrok »

just a note...my nitron shock looked fine and dandy till i went down a sinkhole( broken water pipe) and the 14mm rod snapped.It ended up costing me 300 ish to sort it and get a new back wheel as it buckled that as well..only doing 30-40 mph ish

danny :)
Whoops there goes another bit :)

1991 FZR1000 ru exup
Should know better
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Should know better »

Hmm after doing a bit of surfing on the inter web I think I'm going to stick a rear shock on from a 98 R1. The dimensions appear quite close, any body have any thoughts/experience of this?
Cheers,Sean