YZF750 vs FZR Genesis 1000

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Rednine
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

YZF750 vs FZR Genesis 1000

Post by Rednine »

I am keen on adding either of the above to accompany my R1. Not as an ornament as a bike to ride, and I would be grateful to receive any constructive or destructive as to preferences and which colour scheme, I do not have a preference on colours and like all that have appeared over the years. Many thanks.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Billy Balthorpe
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Billy Balthorpe »

Cant really comment on the YZF except to say that they a have 6 speed gearbox and probably handle better then the Genesis.

I have two Genesis-es (Genesi??) both in the same original White and Red colours (the best colours IMHO). I had one in '98 and did all sorts with it, trackdays (top end of the intermediate group), scratching round the TT and the South of France, it was the bike I had when I met my present wife, hence she has let me have a couple to restore and ride.
They handle quite well for an old girl, the only downside really is the 18" rear wheel restricting tyre choice, but then again ive always thought tyres were subjective anyway. The 5 speed box is ok and you don't really miss a 6th cog. The clutch however takes some getting used to, you cant just rev it and slip the clutch, you sort of have to balance letting the clutch out with winding the lower on and never going over about 5K, sounds difficult but you get used to it and end up being able to pull off as fast as anything really.
Same with any bike, if it has been set up on a race can properly you shouldn't have any problem with flatspots (mine didn't).
They are very roomy apart from the high pegs, how they compare with the YZF I don't know, you really feel like you are riding a long bike with a proper late 80's reach to the bars.
If you need to know owt else about them send me a PM.

I almost bought a YZF750, but the SRAD does it all a lot better for the same money nowadays, faster, more powerful, handles better, etc. If I did buy a YZF I know I would start looking for a Thunderace lump to put in it because of the comparative low power output of the motor. A YZF750 with a 140BHP motor, now that's another story, that's quite a bit more than they had in the late '90s BSB bikes.
Billy Balthorpe
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Billy Balthorpe »

Sorry, forgot to add this.