EXUP Valve

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

With ignition off manually rotate servo pulley wheel. Turn on ignition pulley wheel should then self Centre if it's working ok
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Start at the easiest place.
Disconnect cables from the exup valve pulley.
See if the valve turns very freely with a spanner.
If not, this is probably where the problem is and you will have to strip the valve. But check back for advice before you do this!
Then check the exup motor.
Ign off.
Ign on.
Does the motor spin and reset?
Stuck valve can strip plastic cogs on the motor.
Good luck.
Keep on keepin' on.
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

the exup valve does not cycle on ignition start up - that was YPVS powervalves.

follow the advice above and you should have a clearer picture
ROB
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

EXUP Valve

Post by ROB »

Thanks for the info and advice. I will unbolt the servo and remove the cables. I presume I should be able to operate the flap in the exhaust using the free ends of the now disconnected cables? I will then try Stig's method of turning the servo with the ignition off then turn it back on to see if the servo self centralises.

If the servo is faulty does any body on the forum have any spares that can be purchased or know a source other than e-bay of course.

Watch this space....

Thanks and regards

Rob
Bubble up rubber down.
Teego

Re: EXUP Valve

Post by Teego »

ROB wrote:Thanks for the info and advice. I will unbolt the servo and remove the cables. I presume I should be able to operate the flap in the exhaust using the free ends of the now disconnected cables? I will then try Stig's method of turning the servo with the ignition off then turn it back on to see if the servo self centralises.

If the servo is faulty does any body on the forum have any spares that can be purchased or know a source other than e-bay of course.

Watch this space....

Thanks and regards

Rob
Operate the exup valve flap with a spanner. You'll see where it goes when you take the cover off.
Keep on keepin' on.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

You should be able to rotate the valve in the exhaust with you fingers if it's been maintained
AKA Bald headed b'stard
ROB
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

EXUP Valve

Post by ROB »

Thanks Stig. I'll use the cables ends at the servco to move the valve. If it moves then I wont have to take the cover off at the exhaust. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Bubble up rubber down.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If you've just bought the bike I'd be tempted to take a look at the valve anyway as a lot of folk ignore the maintenance
AKA Bald headed b'stard
ROB
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ROB »

I agree. I hope the cover bolts come out easily on the exhaust. I'll let the WD40 soak in for a while before I atttempt to undo them.
:paranoid:
Bubble up rubber down.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Take a deep breath when you come to undo the bolts because the ruddy things always snap off. If they do then it fun time drilling the studs out. Oh what joy it is. :mad:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Plenty of heat around the bolt housing area. 90% success rate at getting them out. Back and forth and wd. Watch you don't set the wd alight if headers still on bike
AKA Bald headed b'stard
ROB
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ROB »

Thanks Nuggit. I only have a heat gun and suspect it wont get any where near the heat of a torch. I might take it to my local performance shop they will definitely have a torch.
Stig I tried turing the servo away from the self centralised position, as you suggested, and the servo automatically moved back when the igintion was turned on. However I did not disconnect the cables and could only turn the servo about 20 degrees. Should the sevo normally turn through 90 degress? If so I suspect the flap is not seized but fouling on the cack on the exhaust. At least its proved the ignitor box and the servo are good. Thanks for that tip very useful as a diagnostic to the health of the servo and ignitor. At any rate as suggested that flap needs a service. I'll keep you posted on progress.
Bubble up rubber down.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Ok. Next disconnect cables and turn servo pulley as far as it goes then ignition on to test resets to centres. Check both clockwise and anti clockwise

Then it's looking at valve time. Once covers off you should be able to turn it with fingers. If it's loose it will drop back anti-clockwise against its stop just below 9'o clock position and below alignment mark
AKA Bald headed b'stard
ROB
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by ROB »

Ok Stig will do. Thought the servo only went anticlockwise from the self centralised position! Will give it a go though. Thanks for the info.

Regards
Rob
Bubble up rubber down.