Fork stanchions re chrome or New Pattern?

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I've personally not had any done but have heard horror stories from those that have

Go by recommendations I'd say
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Billy Balthorpe
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Billy Balthorpe »

That's exactly what I'm after Stig, recommendations. I personally don't know anyone who has had forks re chromed.
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Got mine done years ago at Philpotts. Excellent finish although not as shiny as original and had to make the groove where the circlip goes wider as the clip wouldnt sit in it after rechroming.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

i've had forks rechromed. I used a place near here (in Yate) who were not cheap, but the quality of the rechrome was very high (i believe they grind the old chrome off, primer with copper and then put a new chrome finish on). If you go rechrome, then look at the adverts in the back of classic motorcycle mechanics or similar.

I've also fitted pattern stanchions (my fzr1000 that i am refurbing has had a set of usd stanchions put on by me). pattern are not of the quality of oem, but are still reasonable.

It's a difficult call and to me it's simple, if pattern is available and cheap then go this way; if pattern is hard to come by, then rechrome is the only way to go.
Billy Balthorpe
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Ive just had a chat with my mate who has used pattern stanchions from Pro Motorcycle salvage near to where I live, he wasn't happy with the finish, more like a matt finish. The problem is that OEM ones are either knackered, prohibitively expensive, or in the USA, with all the hassle and rip off charges levied by our beloved government.

Its looking like a re chrome is the only way to go.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Nice one Billy. I like to hear good news like that. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Jay762
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by Jay762 »

proper result that - shows a bit of leg work pays dividends
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

Result!! :D
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
Billy Balthorpe
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Its been a good few days since I opened one of the best surprises ive ever had, and my first thought on freeing myself from the arms of Morpheus every morning has been, "I've got a brand new pair of genuine fork legs". Its nice to start the day with a happy thought.

I know, I know, I should get out more.