Best non-exup shock?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Best non-exup shock?

Post by Tipper2 »

I'm doing my bike on a budget (aren't we all!) but want to swap the back shock as it's rotten.

I found Stigs list: http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13570

What works best other than Ohlins etc? A lot of these bikes are much lighter than the FZR and spring length is going to affect the ride height.

Has anyone found a best straight-swap option for someone around 13 stone?
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Anyone? I'm looking at a shock from a Thunderace but don't know if it's much of an improvement.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Ace shock should be ok but it's similar age/development as the FZR item... so old and possibly worn

A few members have gone for the kwak 12R item.... much more modern and more adjustable
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

Cheers Stig, will start looking around for one.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

That looks good- will be nice if it handles too. I know the FZR is a heavier bike but not sure about the linkage lengths.

At that price it's well worth a go!
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

Tipper2 wrote:That looks good- will be nice if it handles too. I know the FZR is a heavier bike but not sure about the linkage lengths.

At that price it's well worth a go!
The spring rates are a bit out, but whack the preload up. In my opinion it is better to have functional damping anyway. Those old shocks I have won't damp like they should do.

Worth a punt and if it isn't suitable it'll go back on the bay or ill get a heavier spring.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

I'm tempted to get one now but got emulsion tubes, bearings, tyres, discs and wheel powder-coating to pay for first.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

The spring rate of the Mt09 shock is higher - even on the bench I can tell just by how much force is needed to compress it. I think the fzr shock is about 380lb/in and the mt09 shock (according to their forums) is about 550lb/in. Looks like ill be winding the preload right off!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Are the diameters close enough to be able to swap the springs over?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Let us know how it goes pilingas. This post could be useful for the future. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

nuggitt wrote:Let us know how it goes pilingas. This post could be useful for the future. :nod:
Well it fitted straight in with 2 spacers at the top mount, just like the thunderace shock. It's defintely firmer, but sat on the bike there is about 18mm of sag. Though I haven't yet refitted the oem silencer and taken the preload off a bit more.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Don't forget to put your leathers,boots and helmet on because that extra weight adds to it too. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by Tipper2 »

How did the mt09 shock work out?

I've put one from an Mt07 on mine but haven't been able to check the ride height or handling yet. I'm home tomorrow so will get back at over the next few days.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by pilninggas »

Tipper2 wrote:How did the mt09 shock work out?

I've put one from an Mt07 on mine but haven't been able to check the ride height or handling yet. I'm home tomorrow so will get back at over the next few days.
Not that good to be honest - it's a crap shock with terrible damping performance. :crybaby:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Bugger!! :crybaby: