Hello to all

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Flatspot
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Hello to all

Post by Flatspot »

Hello everyone, I've joined in readiness for when I need to pick brains, check details and everything else once my project bike arrives in a week or two

advancing years means I'm now able to decide to quit work and do nothing, or as near as that the wife will allow. Ideally I'd get in the motorhome and toddle off around Europe for months on end, but that won't be allowed.

In the garage on its own at the moment is my 2015 ZZR1400PS that is my speed steed that will get some European mileage. Over the last 20 years I've had a couple of dozen bikes that I've either raced or toured Europe on, lately 4 hayabusas and a couple of zzr14s.

But the space remaining from when I sold my 1250 bandit needs to be filled, and to keep me quiet over the winter months I have shaken hands on a 1997 Thunderace with 12k on the clocks that has sat unused for the last 10 years or so in a dry garage. I hope the Ace won't disappoint. Actually I like to think that it will be better thought of in the years to come and consider it a potential classic as they weren't built for that many years.

I bought it almost sight unseen, fully expecting to have to strip everything off it and do a full rebuild (mostly cosmetic I hope) when I'm unable to get out and about when the weather is inclement.

I will definitely appreciate your comments on what to look out for when I get it ready to turn the engine over, as its sat for so long unturned-over I'm conscious that I need to prepare dry bores and valves and so on. Your thoughts please.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

:welcome:

Ace is quite a competant tourer. Only real issues I personally can think of is that they sometimes use a bit of oil and the Exup valve seizes due to lack of maintenance
The brakes are basically same as the R1 set up which doesn't seem to give a lot of bother

Look forward to seeing it when it arrives....
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Welcome to the madhouse flatspot. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.