Is this normal

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
vigevar
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Is this normal

Post by vigevar »

Just finished putting the bike back together , nice newly painted plastics etc, took it for a rest ride, only a few miles then back home and ran in the garage for a few minutes to make some tweeks. The whole area around the front of the bike was bleedin hot to touch, even the frame and the air inlet tubes. The engine wasn't over temp. Is this normal ? gawd know's how this heat is affecting the wiring.

I'm thinkin the thing will catch fire at any minute.

Mick
If it ain't broke, it's only a matter of time
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

That doesn't sound right to me. In this hot weather we're having things do tend to get a bit warmer but not that hot. You say that the temp gauge is working alright and the cooling fans are working. Bit of a head scratcher that one. :retard:

Had a think. Are you losing any antifreeze? You could try taking the radiator cap off and run the engine from cold for a couple of minutes and see if any bubbles appear. It could have an air lock in the system. Don't run it to long because the fluid will expand and it will overflow.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If you remove the rad cap you'll lose the contents of the expansion bottle as it sits higher than the top of the rad :nod:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Well that's odd stiggy. I once got an airlock and I did it this way and didn't lose any fluid from my header tank. I'm wondering now if I've got a problem. :eek:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

When everything's cold isn't the fluid level for the top of the rad set so it's in the NORMAL range in the header tank. Assuming there's no air leaks the expansion level should rise as the coolant temp increases and fluid expands
You wouldn't lose ALL the expansion fluid if the system is in pressurised :rolleyes:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
vigevar
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Is this normal

Post by vigevar »

Thanks for the replies fella's
Took the bike for another run this morning, when I got home I turned the motor off, everything was normal but as the bike sat with the engine off the frame started to heat up again. See's like the engine heat is dissipating through the chassis. :confused:
If it ain't broke, it's only a matter of time
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Stig wrote:When everything's cold isn't the fluid level for the top of the rad set so it's in the NORMAL range in the header tank. Assuming there's no air leaks the expansion level should rise as the coolant temp increases and fluid expands
You wouldn't lose ALL the expansion fluid if the system is in pressurised :rolleyes:
I think that's absolutely spot on old boy. :nod: