Newbie's first round

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Scratcher
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Newbie's first round

Post by Scratcher »

Hi everyone.
I've just acquired my second Ace (i bought a new one back in '96 but a change of circumstances saw me let it go two years later). I loved my Ace! The torque, the sure-footed stability and the brakes I thought were... well, Ace.

My new-to-me Ace is nearly exactly the same as my first (black n grey and totally standard). I picked it up in Preston on Friday and rode it back to Stig's neck of the woods. For a twenty year old bike it's not bad, but I have to admit its more of an attempt to get Her-Indoors interested again (we went down to Cornwall in 97 on my first Ace)...but now in in our mid fifties I may have overestimated both my abilities and the Ace's touring practicalities. I was achy and stiff after 75 miles!
I'm a lazy rider and although I'm really fond of my 2003 CBR600F, I'm not too keen of having to work the gear box and ring it's neck to get the same sort of performance that the Ace delivers effortlessly... although the weight trade-off is not welcome!
I'm about to start the 'fettling period' - Exup inspection & Maint (Excellent info on that BTW, Stig!), brake caliper strip and rebuild, new chain n sprockets and oils, filters n plugs change...
Could I ask for advice from those in know - Is there any other area that requires particular attention on a twenty year old Ace with and indicated 20K on the clock?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

:welcome:

Look forward to seeing your ride. Where abouts are you?
Lol managed to ask this time without auto correct messin it all up from my phone
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Welcome to the madhouse scratcher. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Scratcher
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Scratcher »

Thanks guys.
@Stig - I'm just south of Mansfield near Ravenshead.

Will try and get some pics after I've serviced her... and afforded a new chain!