leather cleaners

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
nuggitt

leather cleaners

Post by nuggitt »

I need to give my multi coloured leathers (red/white/navy blue and a hint of pink a good clean. I've been looking at a few options on you tube but a bit unsure about them. Can anybody recommend a good leather cleaner? The white leather is looking a bit grubby and needs a good conditioner too. Any idea's lads?
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

"red/white/navy blue and a hint of pink"...i recommend fire...lots and lots of fire.

i generally put on my leathers, then get the missus to wash me down with warm soapy water, light squeeze and rub down, then dry outside.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

banner001 wrote:"

then get the missus to wash me down with warm soapy water, light squeeze and rub down, then dry outside.
Kinky sod!

Don't you scoff at my pink bit. :lol: :lol:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

VIM then a quick wipe down and lather with baby oil....you'll be grand!
AKA Bald headed b'stard
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

It might be best to leave them a bit grubby.
You dont want them to look like you have just bought them. :lol:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

just bought this for the car seats, not tried it yet but have read quite a few reviews from several sources. initially thought about saddle soap but popular comments suggest otherwise

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016 ... ge_o00_s00
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

And dont forget your shades and a dark visor

Failing the leather cleaner you might want to try black leather dye :D :ninja: :ninja:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I used to use the gliptone leather food years ago and it was good stuff. As it happens I've been looking at Amazon tonight and have got the same saved as you've got. I Too thought about saddle soap till I googled it. Don't use it Stig. As for black leather dye Bugger off!! :p
Vagabond
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by Vagabond »

I had a friend who had a friend who had a furniture business that used to wash the leather sofas with a solution of Dove soap (for the dispenser) and water. Apparently the soap is very mild, as the adverts say, and don't strip the oils from the leather.
1989 FZR1000R
Vagabond
Village Gossip
Village Gossip

Post by Vagabond »

But to moisturise all my leather stuff i use Renapur, saw it at a stand at a motor cycle exhibition one day and have used it ever since.

Renapur
1989 FZR1000R
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've tried dove soap in bar form. It does lift a bit of the grime off but not enough. I'll get some of the dispenser type next time I'm in the supermarket. I saw a video recently of someone using distilled malt vinegar diluted with warm water. I'll give that a go later today. Thanks for the link vagabond. I've made a note of it. Just need to get the grime off before the next stage. :nod:
Last edited by nuggitt on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by roadrunner »

nuggitt wrote: I saw a video recently of someone usi distilled malt vinegar diluted with warm water. I'll give that a go later today.
You'll still be pink nuggitt and make it worse, you'll stink :D
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Ahh yes but just think. You'll be able to wipe your chips on my leathers for that vinegar taste. After a while my leathers will become waterproof. :lol: :lol: :lol:
krazyneil
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by krazyneil »

use white vineger ,not malt vineger , its good a cleaning lots of things
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

krazyneil wrote:use white vineger ,not malt vineger , its good a cleaning lots of things
It was distilled malt vinegar, which is the clear vinegar that I used. It brought a lot of the grubbyness out of my white bits of my leathers. Waiting for the leather balsamic that vagabond recommend to pop through the letterbox and I can give them a good treat. :nod: