mild on 'Ace, s/s on FZR?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

mild on 'Ace, s/s on FZR?

Post by Crazy L »

I read somewhere that the FZRs headers are stainless, apart from the cast exup housing.
Is this correct?

I ask as I've a world of remedial work to do on my Thunderace header set and on't want to ditch the exup.

Cheers guys.
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

yes the FZR front pipes are stainless until the cast steel collector where the valve fits.

The FZR headers will fit the Ace but I believe the rad may have to be spaced forward slightly at its lower edge

FZR headers....... :D

AKA Bald headed b'stard
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Cheers dude

You've been very helpful :D
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Not too bothered about moving rad a touch, but I do have one more thing.

What years/model Fzr wore stainless pipes as a quick ebay browse saw either mild headers or stainless headers with no exup housing.

Thanks again in advance
Answer RC
Sworkz
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

as far as I know all 89-95 FZR headers are stainless. Some that you see on Ebay are seriously neglected and will rust (some grades of stainless do that, others dont eg marine grade)

The stainless headers without the housing are aftermarket manufactured

Then theres the ace headers with the link pipe incorporated as opposed to being part of the end can like the FZR

I've also seen a few FZR headers with a seriously large exit pipe like the one in the image below. As far as I know theres are headers thats been altered at some point in time when the take off pipes rot (as many tend to...like the one I have in the workshop at present. That one will be replaced as original tho')

AKA Bald headed b'stard