Clutch problem

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Clutch problem

Post by rdgravy »

Mornin all. Could I get some clutch advice please? All of a sudden the clutch isn't as effective as it was before. It was fine one day and the next morning it wasn't. I have about an inch of free play (that wasn't there before) before I pull the clutch in and it's near on impossible to get it into neutral from first at a standstill without turning the engine off. It doesn't want to creep forward but I only have mm's of travel before it does. I recently (about 1000 miles)changed the oil from semi synthetic to mineral and I didn't use a flush. I've been told that because I didn't use an engine flush that the oils may have fused and created a sludge, therefore making the clutch not quite so effective. Is that true? I don't want to change the good oil straight away if that isn't the real issue. I've finally got the rounded off screws out of the fluid reservoir and checked the fluid and it's filthy so I'm going to change that this morning. I'be been keeping it outside with a cover over it for the past month or so and was also told that the cool weather could affect it too. I noticed the clutch was different even before I got it out of the gate last week. I went and did around 100 miles and it was still the same. Any suggestions please. Many thanks. Dave :D
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Check the slave cylinder for leaks. It's a common issue. It'll lose just enough fluid over time to stop the clutch working correctly n it'll get worse as time goes on. A fluid change won't go amiss too if it's been in there a long time as its hygroscopic
Whip the slave off and see if the sprocket area is caked in crud
AKA Bald headed b'stard
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

Thanks Stig, a change of fluid has done the trick for now. I've never bled anything before and was a bit apprehensive. Chuffed to bits I am, until it goes again. I'll take off the slave cylinder and have a look the next time I've got the fairing off. Thanks. :D
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

rdgravy wrote:Thanks Stig, a change of fluid has done the trick for now. I've never bled anything before and was a bit apprehensive. Chuffed to bits I am, until it goes again. I'll take off the slave cylinder and have a look the next time I've got the fairing off. Thanks. :D
Well done Dave lad. We'll make a man out of you yet. :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I'm still running my original clutch plates even after 55,000 miles. But from an early stage of ownership I replaced the clutch master cylinder with one from ZXR750R (but one from a YZF750R fits as well), fitted an Aeroquip hose & installed Barnett heavy duty springs from PDQ. The clutch action is lighter than standard & so long as the actuating rod from the slave cylinder through to the clutch basket is straight, clean & lubed up it's still nice & light.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

When I got rid of mine it had over 36,000 miles on it and the only changes were the clutch line, slave seal and fluid.
I remember sitting at a junction with the clutch pulled in and the bike was creeping forward trying to pull out into the flow of traffic to kill me.
At this point in time the fluid could have been the original stuff and was over 10 years old, a change of fluid and all was fine again.