Noisy fuel pump

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Noisy fuel pump

Post by zampa »

Hi guys, 1990 exup here.
Used seldom once a month during last three years, I used it just one week ago and everything was fine. Yesterday a man came to see the bike (it's for sale, I've almost finish my other 1989 one) and that happened:
normal behaviour, I turn the key, hear the fuel pump rattling ta-ta-ta-ta-ta (less or more it depends how long the bike was not running) and then suddenly stop, silence (no noise from the fuel pump), fire up the bike.
If I switch off before fire up the bike, and switch on again, I can hear the rattling of the pump, but less than before. If I continuously switch on and off, after 3 or 4 attempts, the fuel pump will not do any noise more (I suppose because it has pumped all the fuel neeed).
behaviour of yesterday, I turn the key and hear nothing, trying to fire up the bike, nothing, dashboard is working but it was like the run/off switch was turned to off. Push it sometimes, and finally here the pump noise. But is was very fast. I fired up the bike and still hear the ta-ta-ta-ta-ta of the fuel pump in the background. Did this 5 times and it was the same.
Basically, before, the fuel pump stop doing noise before the ignition, now it's always noisy (very loud) and will not stop after the engine is turned on. I can hear the noise with the engine running!
I do not have at the moment in the garage the other bike to exchange the pump or the relais.
Any hints?
mattblackone
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by mattblackone »

are you sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

Ehr... I believe so, honestly I didn't check but as the reserve switch is not working I always leave her with a full tank.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Maybe blocked fuel filter. Is the fuel tap turned on?
Keep on keepin' on.
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

Fuel filter new (less than 100km) and fuel tap open (I rode the bike last week).
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

I don't know how to say, an alien came down during the night and sucked all the fuel... :)
Empty fuel tank, it's so strange because the bike was still running so probably they were the latest fuel smokes...