My new project

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
CrisDolf
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

My new project

Post by CrisDolf »

just brought a fzr1000 EXUP after a few weeks got it running but this bike as been stood a while ,so it seems the clutch level doesn't work I put the bike front wheel against my truck back wheel pulled the clutch level in knocked it into gear and it stalls ? Any ideas? Clutch plates ceased ?
FZR 1000 EXUP 1989
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

side stand down...they have a cut out switch to stop you riding off with the stand down :nod:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Get the rear end up on a paddock stand so the rear wheel is off the floor. Put it in to 3rd or 4th gear and turn the wheel with your hands in a forward motion and it should release it. I've had this a couple of times usually after a long winter lay up. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
CrisDolf
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by CrisDolf »

Stand defiantly up,yeah the second idea sounds best approach ,thx you both for the quick reply I,ll let you know the outcome cheers
FZR 1000 EXUP 1989
dirk nobody
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Stuck Clutch?

Post by dirk nobody »

If the clutch plates are stuck, start the engine in neutral, push the bike (down a slight hill helps here) up to more than walking pace, then knock it into 2nd with the clutch pulled in, if the clutch doesn't free, blip the throttle until it does. This works on all/most bikes & even cars (yes a mk2 Granada, I am that old). obviously you need to be carefully, but much easier than a clutch strip, still works every time on the ZZR1100!
Dirk.
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Stig wrote:side stand down...they have a cut out switch to stop you riding off with the stand down :nod:
Check the bolts holding the stand switch. Mine came loose once which fooled the bike into thinking the stand was down when it wasn't.
Keep on keepin' on.
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

If its been standing a while change the clutch fluid.
It could be years old and when it starts to go off gives symptoms you are describing.
CrisDolf
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by CrisDolf »

Tried pushing it a long in 4th but no joy there will try the new new clutch fluid next ,the clutch level just as no pressure there at all
FZR 1000 EXUP 1989
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

let it run in neutral till its hot ,hold the clutch lever in and make sure its hot enough to have the oil at running temp that should free it off then give it a good run . if that doesn't work pull the plates and soak them in kerosene overnight and re soak in fresh oil and you will be fine ,
iv only had bikes for 40 years , what do i know ???????
CrisDolf
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by CrisDolf »

Always been a 4x4 nut so changed loads of engines and worked on landies ,not sure where to start on the bike :lol:
FZR 1000 EXUP 1989
Teego

Post by Teego »

CrisDolf wrote:Always been a 4x4 nut so changed loads of engines and worked on landies ,not sure where to start on the bike :lol:
Always start with the cheapest and easiest stuff. Costs you bugger all and often solves the problem.
Keep on keepin' on.
CrisDolf
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by CrisDolf »

So true ,let u know how I get on
FZR 1000 EXUP 1989
CrisDolf
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by CrisDolf »

Well tried all the above and it's still not freeing ,a little about me if you had a landrover I could have the engine out and back in same day (I'm not a mechanic) but bike not done a lot with the last time I did was put a new piston in my yamaha fizzy aged 17 (yes a very long time ago wish I still had it be worth a mint lol)so guessing I need to free it by stripping it down? New plates do you think ? Any diagrams on here showing a break down ? Help needed :crybaby:
FZR 1000 EXUP 1989
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

probably dont need a new clutch...just needs the plates seperating and soaking with oil
Theres a load of workshop manuals on the main site in the tech section...free to D/L :nod:

Good luck :D
AKA Bald headed b'stard
dirk nobody
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Stuck clutch plates

Post by dirk nobody »

Chris,
Re-read my reply, this will work assuming the lever operates the hydraulics?
I should have added to keep the clutch lever pulled back, until its free'd off.
It will free off after a couple of blips of the throttle, & you can ride it home, no strip down required.

I assume you live in a quiet area, this is not recommended if you live central city style.

Try it and report back, what have you got to lose, apart from 5 mins?

Dirk.