Carb floats are important

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Carb floats are important

Post by Realitybites »

I just want to say that when installing new toobs and needles, always check around the shed for any floats you may have missed on rebuild because you put it on a shelf and forgot to put it back in.
Brit living in the U.S

"You can lead a horse to water, but you're not bringin' that dog in 'er mate"
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

sound advise that :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Realitybites »

Yes, now if my day earlier self would just read it, that would save a lot of time :(
Brit living in the U.S

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've made a note of that. :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Realitybites »

The 'bloody hell you pillock!' moment when you realize there is a float sitting on a shelf and the carbs are back together and fitted is at least a two Whisky instance. :rolleyes:
Brit living in the U.S

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

You're not by yourself. :blush:

I set out to do an oil change years ago. Drained the old oil out and removed the oil filter. Fitted new filter and started to fill up with new oil. after nearly half of the oil had gone in ( or so I thought) I looked down to see a big puddle of new oil all over the garage floor. Guess who'd forgot to put the drain plug back in? :blush: :blush:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Realitybites »

Too funny nuggit. I'll bet at the time you didn't laugh... I just changed the oil in the FZ, put the new filter on screwed everything back up and filled it with the new oil. Turned around and saw the filter retaining spring sitting the floor. So, drained all the new oil took off the cover, put the spring on, screwed it all back together then went and bought more oil as the new oil was black just from the quick run through. I pretty much expect I'll screw up each time I take something apart.
Brit living in the U.S

Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Its good to have a bit of OCD when working on a bike. When I changed my toobs I put a roasting tray under the carbs to catch anything that might pop off - like those tiny o-rings. Then the carbs were not rebuilt until the tray was empty.
Also put any bolts and fasteners in old coffee jars and screw the lid on.
Only thing I ever lost was a scewdriver tip which dropped into an inlet stub before I could stuff a rag in it. Fortunately the valve was closed and my neighbour had a magnetic screwdriver. But WTF was that voice in my head which said just turn the engine over and the tip would pop out the other side?
Keep on keepin' on.
Realitybites
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Realitybites »

That is one evil voice in the head you have there! :eek:
Brit living in the U.S