Riding in Europe.

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
theundertoker
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Riding in Europe.

Post by theundertoker »

Hi and thanks for looking.

In a couple of weeks i'm off through the chunnel for the first time on a bike, i'm sure there is a plethora of wisdom to be had from you guys on this particular subject.

Would you mind helping and leave some tips in the comments, i am aware i need to drive on the other side before you all get started Lol! :D
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

hi
where are you heading to?

just cos im a nosey git :lol:

just do the sensible checklist things first

1. make sure your bike will get you there and back
e.g wellie boots n chain is tip top - with a minor service before you set off

2. i always carried my money and passport in a wallet type gun shoulder holster - NEVER in the tank bag

3. make sure you take full waterproofs and spare gloves - euro weather can be just as bad as here

4. be carefull going onto the ferry if it has been raining - its as slippy as a slippy thing once you head into the car deck

5. the europeans know how to drive on a motorway unlike our rediculous
braindead aproach to motorway driving
with this in mind there are rules of engagement
5a. the outside lane is for traveling at stupid speeds
5b. it is fairgame for you or someonelse to pull out randomly into the stupid speed lane causing the car/bike traveling at stupid speeds to have to slam on the anchors
5c. in return its now also fairgame for the car/bike that has just anchored up to sit within a inch of your tail badgering you to move over like a possesed lunatic - and if you are the one infront you are not alowed to let this bother you as its all part of the rules of engagement
5d. with this in mind we drove through france belgium holland luxembourg swizerland italy in a 3000 mile round trip last month and it was a pleasure to do 90mph guggling from the nearside (u.k slow lane ) to the overtaking lane (u.k. middle lane) for the whole journey
and the stupid fast lane had very few cars in it for the whole journey -
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

French petrol stations tend to be unmanned so make sure you have a credit or debit card that will work abroad (unmanned pumps don't accept cash). Best to check with the bank before you leave our shores that there's no restriction in place. Personally I would always use a credit card abroad as you have more protection against identity fraud.
Madison Motorsport UK
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

Another thing to consider - breath test kits are now a legal requirement on the Continent, as are bulb kits and warning triangles (not sure if the triangle applies to bikes though).
Madison Motorsport UK
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

its french law that you must have reflective stickers on your helmet, front sides and back
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
theundertoker
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by theundertoker »

Thanks Guys, all good info and really appreciated.

Im off to Ypres in Belgium so to be fair im doing less miles on the continent than what i will be doing to get to the chunnel but it is my first time ( be gentle with me Lmao)

Im on a memorial run to the Menin gate as its the centenary of World War 1, im raising a few funds for charity and generally having a jolly to boot.

If anyone fancies tagging along here's the route

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Redca ... 974636!3e0

Once again, thanks for any advice, all the above info is now racked and stacked ready for use on the 26th when i set off :D
fzted
Gift of the Gab
Gift of the Gab

Post by fzted »

Many tolls in france to, good A roads though
Ride it like ya stole it