Doe's an aftermarket exup system exist?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Doe's an aftermarket exup system exist?

Post by Crazy L »

Hi all

Just giving my Ace a good going over and one of my jobs was to get all the crud and surface rust off my exhaust system and give it a good spray to keep any more corrosion at bay. Having just stripped out the exup valve and given that a good decoke and polish, imagine my disheartenment when the wire attachment on my drill just uncoverded a 3mm hole in one of my downpipes.

So I wondered if anyone of you chaps knew if somewhere like racefit et al did new systems that kept the exup valve?

Failing that, i'll have to finish getting the worst off and see how much of it needs welding
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

Can't you just weld a patch on the pinhole?
Madison Motorsport UK
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Not finished cleaning it up yet, that was on the 1st stroke of the wire wheel. Dreading the rest of the downpipe now
Answer RC
Sworkz
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

If the hole's not to big you can always patch it with exhaust paste.
As MMUK suggested you could weld a patch on but it would require the surrounding metal to be sound.
As far as I know, if you want to retain the exup then the only option is to use a Yamaha item.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

As a matter of keeping you all informed, I had the welder at our place weld the holes up. I will spray the hell out of it and hope they last another year or so. Will splash out on a set of sandys though to have waiting in the wings.
Answer RC
Sworkz
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

That is a name worth jotting down, thanks MMUK, do you still have contact details, and did you send off your system for them to copy?

I am dubious about dumping the exup tbh. I did read a post by someone somewhere who said the sandy pipes for the 'ace bolted on and worked almost as good right out the box due to cam overlap and profile being different to the older FZRs. Don't know how true this is though.

Delkevic's exup set is now discontinued.
Answer RC
Sworkz
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

The Delkevic pipes will need some re-fueling. The main problem is they are a budget brand and not properly ported so the internals are not perfectly smooth. All this affects the back pressure and gas flow. No two are the same, it's a nightmare!

Just Google for DKU Exhaust Systems, they have a pretty good website. I just popped in with my spare OEM set for them to copy.
Madison Motorsport UK
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Interesting that Delkavic are a sub company of DK motorcycles in Stoke, is there a connection to DKU by any chance?
Nick
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

robertcains wrote:Interesting that Delkavic are a sub company of DK motorcycles in Stoke
Hmm, fascinating. Is that a fact?
Answer RC
Sworkz
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Crazy L wrote:
robertcains wrote:Interesting that Delkavic are a sub company of DK motorcycles in Stoke
Hmm, fascinating. Is that a fact?
Certainly is
Nick
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

robertcains wrote:Interesting that Delkavic are a sub company of DK motorcycles in Stoke, is there a connection to DKU by any chance?
Delkevic and DK are owned by the same person :nod:

As far as I'm aware there's no connection to DKU though.....
Madison Motorsport UK
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

FZR1000 EXUP pipes fit and they have stainless downpipes but still keep the EXUP valve. The only caveat is that the radiator needs moving forward slightly. I have a set for my fightered Ace but haven't fitted them yet as I need to sort out the buggered bolts on the valve.
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

thunder_taz wrote:FZR1000 EXUP pipes fit and they have stainless downpipes but still keep the EXUP valve. The only caveat is that the radiator needs moving forward slightly. I have a set for my fightered Ace but haven't fitted them yet as I need to sort out the buggered bolts on the valve.
Thanks Thunder Taz, that's worth keeping in mind. I had issues with the bolts holding my exup plate on, regular drippings of Plusgas, along with a dremel and an impact driver got mine undone.

Cheers to the rest of you, the zorst is back on the bike after being welded up (for now) and sprayed with copious amounts of vht paint, although, annoyingly, I did chip the bastard while positioning it for mounting, right by the footrest, not overjoyed with that tbh.
Answer RC
Sworkz