battery drain

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
rexeriot
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

battery drain

Post by rexeriot »

All of a sudden my battery was flat. Only had bike for 6 weeks but have not had an issue. Jumped the bike with a battery pack. Went for a ride. stopped the bike. Restarted fine so battery was now charged. Left it for a week and the same thing happened. Something is obviously dining the battery. Th e only thing I've done prior to it happening the first time was to remove the fairing for painting. Have I disturbed something and created a short. I'm a very competent amateur mechanic but electrics have always been a challenge for me. Any ideas guys? Also as soon as I turn on the ignition the fuel pump starts wurring. Is that normal? Apart from that the bike is a beast. Runs like a dream and has only done 20k. Oh by the way she's an 89 r model. Thanks.
I always stick to the speed limits. Its just that the ones in our area they seem to have missed all the " 0's " off the end.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

You dont mention if theres an alarm fitted...assuming not, battery may be at the end of its life. If you have access to a multimeter put a drop test to see if its using currrent when turned off plus you can also check to see if the alternator is Ok battery should be putting out around 14V
AKA Bald headed b'stard
skyerae
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by skyerae »

The wurring is normal, it is the fuel pump priming the system, it should stop in a few seconds if you leave the ignition switched on without starting the bike. I had an alarm fitted and it killed my first battery before it shorted and blew up my electrics. I had to eventually cut it out and splice together the electrics to make it work.
If you can't do a job properly, don't do it at all !!!
darthzuasive
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Not sure

Post by darthzuasive »

It's possible that you exposed a wire somewhere and are shorting out but I would think there would be heat as a result. I'm by no means an expert.

Might not be a bad idea to check the voltage on your stator. I'm not sure of the specs but when running, it should be putting more out to recharge. Something like 13/14 volts. It could end up being the rectifier. You'd be surprised how long the bike can go on just a small charge. I used to have an 89 CBR600R that was terrible with electronics. They used these nasty shunt regulators that burn up so bad.