tyre size info

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

tyre size info

Post by rdgravy »

What tyre size does everybody use on their R model Fzr please? I'm just about to change my front tyre and I presumed it would be a 120/70/17 but it has on a 120/60/17. The tyre fitter chap tells me they use a smaller profile for better cornering but I'd like to put back on what it had on originally. It's a Bridgestone Battlax BT20. The back is a Battlax and thought I'd better match them up. Just thought the tyre size was odd. :nod:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've got Michelin power 2ct's on mine Dave and the sizes are front 120/70 Z 17 and rear is 180/ 55 Z 17 :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
undeadhairy
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by undeadhairy »

I use the 120.70. 17 on mine :nod: :nod: :nod:
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

thanks fellas, I thought that was the case. It's the same size as my Diversion, I've just put Michelins on that. Never had a complaint with Battlax's on my Fzr 400 years ago. I'll order it tomorrow. Good job I checked. :D
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

nuggitt wrote:I've got Michelin power 2ct's on mine Dave and the sizes are front 120/70 Z 17 and rear is 180/ 55 Z 17 :nod:
I'm just about to put a 120/70 17 on the front and was considering the Pilot Power (none 2CT). I have a Pilot Road on the rear which is staying put, by the way.

Do you like the Power's Nuggit?
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've always had bridgestones in the past Paul. Which I liked very much. I had complete trust in them. :nod: I switched over to Michelins for the first time last year. I do like them and they do give you a good feedback. I was hoping they would last for two bike riding season, but I'm afraid not. :crybaby: That's my own fault though for being a bit heavy with the right hand. I will be having to have a new rear tyre fitted very soon. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

Thanks John.

How much wear have you got on front, btw?
&
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

The front has plenty of tread left. It will last all this summers biking for sure.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

Thanks John.
&
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Many years ago I went up to a bike show in London & there was a Pirelli & a Metzeler stand. (this was before they merged)

I asked about the OEM 130/60x17 front & the 170/60x17 rear & asked what they both recommended...& they both said 120/70 front & 180/55 rear.

Strangely, the 180 Pirelli MTR02 rear never felt as good as the Metzeler MEZ1, but I didn't like the front Metezeler profile so always rode with a Pirelli MTR01, as it was a lot more round in profile.

On my R1, the front Diablo Corsa 3 is very triangular & there's lots of side grip when pushing in the corners.

Nowadays I stick to Pirellis, & would never touch CST, Conti, Goodyear or Yokahamas. As for bridgestone...why pay the same money for them as for Pirellis.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

I've been using a Metzeler Sportec M1 120/70 17 on the front for last 3000 miles, since I got my exup and its never faltered, even on damp track days.

No idea what it's comparable to but looking at a Pilot Power at moment.
&
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

Couldn't get on with the paddock stands on gravel so had to use something a little more industrial to lift up the front end. Wow, how easy was that to get the wheel out. Quite chuffed with myself. Didn't have any bits and pieces left over either. Image
Image[/url] :D
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Very innovative that is Dave. :nod:

That animal of a bike is looking well. :D
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

it's not too bad Nuggit. I think I need my head bearings adjusted at some point tho. The nose cone is cracking a little more in places but that''s not a surprise after I hit a partridge last year. I was going to get the wheels painted but as I've got a spare set I may get them painted instead and replace them when I next need the tyres changing. I'm not too sure if I may need some fork seals too but it doesn't seem too bad at the minute. It does seem to like its oil so the next time I need to top it up I'm going to replace it with mineral instead and see if that makes a difference. It does still go well tho. Haven't been out on it with the new tyre yet. I was going to go along to Louth bike night tonight but it's a little too late now, I don't seem to have the energy I had when I was younger. Sooner get home and have a cuppa. How bad is that. Half a pint of semi synthetic and a tetleys please sir! :D
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

We'll have to get you up here one day soon and I'll tighten the headrace bearings up for you. :nod: