Track day advice

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
oldgreybeard
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Track day advice

Post by oldgreybeard »

After months in the garage avoiding the torrential rain, and putting in the last 3000 miles on a pushbike over the winter, I've booked the EXUP in for service, tune-up and general bit of TLC.

Has anyone got any advice for the aging and bewildered rider whose family bought him a track day at Silverstone for Christmas?

Tyre pressures? suspension tuning or simply the best make of rubber pants?

I have never done one before, and I fear being humiliated by an 18 year old lapping me on a honda C90 stepthrough!
simonb
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by simonb »

Start off steady and get the tyres warm for 3 laps or so and build up from there.
Go at your own pace and don't worry about getting passed,there is alwsys someone faster but if it is run well the faster lads will get moved up into a quicker group.
Dont fall for the "suspension should be rock hard" rubbish but you will want to lower the tyre pressures depending on make and your ability,there should be a tyre bloke there to ask and the instructors should be able to give you some advice.
Depending on who the organisers are thet may give you a couple of laps tuition if you ask.
Drink lots of water and eat small snacks as well to keep your energy levels up.
Enjoy it,it's for fun and not a race.
Tenas for men if all else fails.
undeadhairy
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by undeadhairy »

I do believe you can hire 400cc bikes off them so you dont trash your own bike by accident. But you might have to ring to double check
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

In my experience (not that I've done it) most track day crashes happen when people enter corners too fast, hit the brakes, the bike stands up and they go straight on into the gravel. Easy in and fast out is a good rule for corners. And stay in your comfort zone - you can't see through red mist.
Keep on keepin' on.
CMSMJ1
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by CMSMJ1 »

Just chill out - ride your bike like you know how to. Leave the ego at the garage and revel in the buzz...

There are horror stories all the time about TDs - if you ride with concentration and focus and take off your mirrors, tape up the speedo and relax you will be fine.

It is addictive though...so prepare to need another go...and perhaps just one more..then maybe to have to try another track....and maybe you need a track bike after all?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

im lucky now that mallory has opened as i now have 3 top-class tracks (mallory, rockingham, silverstone) within a 45-minute drive of here...excellent!
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

SimonB is spot on in my view and yes, totally addictive! :D
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!