Rocking the 'XUP

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Rocking the 'XUP

Post by pilninggas »

Just before Xmas markt advertised his bike on here - I got it for a quarter, with new tyres, a new chain and a few other useful bits (spare set of headers). Since then, around all the other life stuff, i've been sorting it out to make it road legal again and press it back into use.

As soon as I got it I cleaned the carbs out and got it running.

In January I sorted out the chain - turns out the front sprocket was 532 all the rest was 530. A full 530 conversion with the new chain sorted that. Freeing and cleaning 2 seized pistons on the nearside front caliper gave the brakes some life back (slready fitted with goodridge hoses! and very new pads).

In March, new battery and new MOT (flew thru).

Last week, been out testing it, as on the way to the MOT it kept bogging.

On friday pulled the EXUP valve out, as it would not move a single degree. Soaked it in graphite releasing fluid. Took it to work today [stick it in a big vice in the workshop] and freed it off. Reassemble it as soon as I got in today (itching to see if I had the cure).

Just took it out - WOW, WOW, WOW - I have an 11-plate FZ1, which has done 550 miles in the last fortnight, but the EXUP would still hold on to it's shirt tails.

Handles, brakes and turns sweetly. Pulls well on the m-way it was out into lane 3 at the double. A few niggles to sort (dash lights and oscillating speedo (worn cable?)), but just WOW, i'd forgot how much I love these bikes.

Sold my Virago last week, which has worked out well, as with the FZ1 and the EXUP on call I don't think it would get a look in!

Was intending to sell it - not sure I can do it now, as it owes me nothing, goes like stink and cost pennies to insure.