To paint or not to paint?

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

To paint or not to paint?

Post by robertcains »

I'm interested in opinions please as I'm seriously divided in my own mind!

I've recently purchased my lifelong dream of an 89 Exup which I plan to keep forever, I really wanted a basket case to rebuild from the frame up into a near concours machine which I would cherish but still ride regularly during summer months.
My dilemma is that I luckily managed to find a very tidy example so have done all the major jobs & intend to enjoy it this summer before tackling the more minute jobs over the forthcoming winter.
The big question is whether to paint the old girl? I have lovingly restored the original bodywork which is in good condition by cutting, machine polishing & touching any small marks in & it looks very clean now,
Would I be mad in considering a full repaint & new decal kit over the winter? Or is it best kept original with a few very minor imperfections for a 25year old lady?
Thoughts please,
Cheers Nick
Nick
undeadhairy
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by undeadhairy »

id say keep her as she was, she might object and start giving you problems if you change her :lol: :lol: :lol:
Archangel
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Archangel »

I thought the same with mine, but I like the idea of 27 years of history being on show. I've cleaned the bodywork, done some touchups and given it a good polish with Mer.I think the Retro car guys call it Patina, or it could just be an excuse not to shell out a load of dough :D
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Fair comments but as a painter it won't cost me much & I'll be assured it will be done right.... Maybe makes the dilemma worse lol
Nick
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'd leave it as it is. :nod:

There's nothing wrong with a few small scars on a beautiful woman. :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

nope, restore it to factory condition if you plan to keep hold of it in my opinion. if you are going to do it, do it right.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

I was trying to ask myself which is more desirable? I suppose the opinions are split really & my main concern if I do paint it is peeps thinking it might be a complete shed with a makeover.
Nick
jonny bravo
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by jonny bravo »

I'm in exactly the same predicament - The only thing to bear in mind is - it's your bike and your image. If you plan on riding it til "death do you part", then keeping it original for the sake of history / value etc is irrelevant.

At worst - buy a tatty fairing and have that patched and painted, and keep the original panels should you change your mind - that's what I've chosen to do!

Good luck!