Newbie to the forum

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
wolfieuk666
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Newbie to the forum

Post by wolfieuk666 »

hi all, well heres my ride Its my FZR 1000 exup 1990, had it about 3 months now, the last owner had let it go a bit,kept outside for a number of years so is showing its age,
however that said it still pulls well and is good for 165mhp :) i've started to do a few of the much needed jobs, first was to replace the front calipers with R6/R1 blue dots and matched with an R1 master and lever.
Rear disc been changed to an aftermarket one as the standard had started to crack between the holes,also upgraded the rear master to a R1 brembo.
Made some exup control cables so that now working as it should.Also made a nice stubby can from a blue flame with twin outlets that now sounds sweet.
Fork seals have been done this week however when i stripped the forks down i found that whoever has had them apart in the past didnt replace one of the upper spring seats and the spacer tube had slipped down over the spring,so had to order a new seat and should be here tomorrow and them forks will be back on,
Next jobs are,
refresh the wheels as the paint is very chipped,
Replace front disc's i have some to go on but the bolts in the ones on there are in good and proper and having a problem getting them out so going to look for another cheap front wheel and fit the new disc's to that, then i can do the other without rushing as my bike is my only transport i can have it off the road for more than a day or at a time, so each job has to be completed over a couple of days at most,

the photo was taken a couple of days after i picked the bike up, i'll post some more of her now once she's back together
wolfieuk666
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wolfieuk666 »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

few ways of getting the bolts out...either way, a bit of heat around the area to soften the thread lock

can hammer a larger size allen key into bolt head if its been rounded or use a close imperial size or even a torx key

or could grind flats on opposing sides of the bolt head, grip it with moles tightly and then use a bar between the jaws as a lever

or alternatively, take it to a local engineers who can spark errode them..at least you know the wheel is OK and is offset by purchasing a replacement wheel
AKA Bald headed b'stard
wolfieuk666
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wolfieuk666 »

i manage to do the rear with impact gun on 5 of the bolts but had to get the grinder out on the last one cos it was being a proper bitch to undo but once i got a good hold it came out ok, not going start on the fronts until i got new bolts here to mount the new disc's.

I need a screen to at some point too, also a left side fairing infill,

but its all good fun lol
dan83590
Earbasher
Earbasher

Post by dan83590 »

OOOOO, Tewkesbury. Not too far from me. We are just south of Bristol.

My disc bolts were a total bitch too. To do mine I cut a groove across the head with a hack saw (may have used my dremmel, can't remember now!) and then used a large flat head bit in my impact wrench. There're a pig sometimes but they do come out.

Another way I found is using a breaker bar on the end of an allen socket, gradually increase the pressure on the bar until you get movement, this didn't always work, some heads rounded off and I was back to the impact wrench.
rob w
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by rob w »

Not much that heat and impact can't shift, A blow torch and an impact driver shifted mine, I was refinishing the wheels as well so didn't mind using the blow torch on the wheel so that it expands away from the bolt, then a good wack.
Mk1 Yam R1, Mk1 EXUP, Duc 916, Blackbird, Kaw Z1, Kaw Z1a, Triumph 900 Daytona & 60's T120 Bonneville (cafe racer with a tuned T140 motor) Aprilia Pegaso, VFR750, Honda XL1000 Varadero
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

I must have been lucky with mine, I just put an allen socket in it, whacked it with a hammer a few times then out they came with a ratchet
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

If you just warm the whole hub up with a fan heater it softens the locktite and they all come out nice.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
wolfieuk666
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wolfieuk666 »

thanks for the tips guys, must buy heat gun then, found some new bolts on ebay for 15quid so going order them soon as i can,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us