In some good company

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

In some good company

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Now that my R1 has been SORNed I am using my Exup for when there's a nice enough time to get out with friends. For the last two Sundays it's been reasonable so went out & about

Two 999s, a HyperMotard, & an '07 Blade

Out yesterday with a friend on her Gixer 750

Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

Earlier this year

www.blood.co.uk
dan83590
Earbasher
Earbasher

Post by dan83590 »

Interesting - How would you sum up the R1 and the FZR riding them back to back. Obviously the R1 is going to be the better machine, but where?
Metalface
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Metalface »

R1 is lighter and accelerates faster. :nod:
If I have to understand, don't bother to explain.

Yoda wrote:Well mental bikes though, suits you sir.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I rode a friends 98 R1 after getting off my EXUP. The R1 felt taller with a wider seat and I felt like I was sitting ON it whereas the exup felt like sitting IN it
The R1 felt like it had a broarder power spread but didnt feel like it was accelerating faster. Ridden against each other my EXUP keeps up on acceleration but cant keep up in the bends...it just wont tip in as fast
AKA Bald headed b'stard
dan83590
Earbasher
Earbasher

Post by dan83590 »

I must test ride one, I'm really tempted to get one instead of replacing the car.. :cool: I've only ever sat on an R1 and it felt like a push bike in conparison.

Nice piccys. We get out quite often with other riders too and I know this about the FZR, its no slouch in a straight line against the lighter machines but I need shite loads more bottle than they do in the corners.
Metalface

Post by Metalface »

Stig wrote: The R1 felt like it had a broarder power spread but didnt feel like it was accelerating faster.
Mine definatly accelarated faster, it was a constant battle to keep the front down and I've ridden with FZR's and they couldn't keep up.

rob w
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by rob w »

They're very different, I love my exup but it's perhaps more from nostalia than the bike, it feels more like my blackbird than my R1, which is great, I love my blackbird.

Obviously the R1 is much more sports orientated, it took me a while to get the hang of it, I kept braking too soon and over steering, but once I was "at one" it's f**king brilliant and the bike I enjoy riding the most when I'm in a fast mood, closely followed by the 916. But when your not in a fast mood the Exup is more relaxing. The 916 is even more extreme only works when ridden hard when it's fantastic the rest of the it's shit.
Mk1 Yam R1, Mk1 EXUP, Duc 916, Blackbird, Kaw Z1, Kaw Z1a, Triumph 900 Daytona & 60's T120 Bonneville (cafe racer with a tuned T140 motor) Aprilia Pegaso, VFR750, Honda XL1000 Varadero
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

dan83590 wrote:Interesting - How would you sum up the R1 and the FZR riding them back to back. Obviously the R1 is going to be the better machine, but where?
'Completely differant animals' I think best describes the two bikes

If I had to ride to Assen for the TT or the WSB i'd use the Exup, but a few years ago I went to Tuscanny for YZFPaul's wedding via the 'A' roads which was a blast. In its day the Exup was a benchmark, until the first Blade came along. But with the suspension modified on my Exup, it has shown a few newer bikes the way to go :evil:

www.blood.co.uk
mobil1
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by mobil1 »

I went to Assen year before last on my Exup. P'd with rain all the way there and back. Didn't miss a beat and no aches and pains. Loved it! Off to Brittany next year unless I can convince my mates its just as far as Assen the same weekend.
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
mobil1

Post by mobil1 »

Pics at the track are bit naff but it was a mobile phone, then it died.

Marco and Rossi

Play Safe! Play Hard!!
Metalface

Post by Metalface »

:hijack:

itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Stig wrote:I rode a friends 98 R1 after getting off my EXUP. The R1 felt taller with a wider seat and I felt like I was sitting ON it whereas the exup felt like sitting IN it
Thats exactly how I felt when I had a go on a 99 model.
The Exup felt planted on the road and the R1 felt very twitchy.
The later R1's (like my 06) are completely different though.
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

:hijack:

is it true the best early R1 is the 2002-03 cos its frame is so similar to the R7 ?
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

yzfpaul wrote::hijack:

is it true the best early R1 is the 2002-03 cos its frame is so similar to the R7 ?
I think it really depends who you talk to about this.
A lot of 4XV owners say they cannot be beaten for raw power, whereas 4C8 owners (07-08) reckon they have the whole package.
Personally I reckon the 04-06 model is the best looking of the lot but i am obviously a bit biased.
The most complaints though seem to come from the cross plane crank owners who dont seem to keep them long and some have even went back to the previous model.