Vivian - Banner's streetfighter experiment.

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

valve lapping has begun!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

valve lapping has finished!

doing my final "internal clean" of the cylinder head now, once thats done got a few other "external engine" parts to do - like the clutch piston cover and the front sprocket cover to finish cleaning and then its off for blasting.

found out i need another 2 signatures on this document for the cash...will get that sorted this weekend and hopefully have the cash before the end of the month...if i can get the engine finished soon then i can break it in over the start of summer and it wont look pretty, but i can start to do all the external fabrication then :D
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

missing a few bolts...but we are ready for the sand blasters :D

been a while (~7-8 months) since the engine was together like this, shouldnt be too long now before its painted and re-built :D
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

You're going to have a job getting all the sand out of that once it's been blasted, those machines are vicious,
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

ill have a chat with the blaster and engine painters, if they think its fine as it is, then ill ask them to give it another damn good clean - i dont have a parts washer, just a couple of buckets and toothbrushes - and then they can spray it.

i might be buying a car today, so if that all goes through i will be able to take the engine to the painters next weekend.

and i was planning to fully clean all the engine internals anyways after it was painted, just to be 100% sure that it was all clean and free of dirt.

i managed to melt my first parts washer (it said "solvent pump" on the front, but 10% trike melted it...) so when i get my cash back from that i might buy the slightly larger one and just run concentrated degreaser through it followed by compressed air drying and oiling?
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

If it was me, I'd just give it a good clean/de-grease and spray it.

That's going to be a real pain to get all the sand out and you'll never know if you've got all of it.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

And while you're at it. Give that workbench a tidy up, it's a bloody disgrace. :lol: :lol: :p
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

ok, agree with the 1st statement - will ask them to clean and spray it, disagree with the 2nd statement - you've not seen the "dirty" bench :D
mobil1
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by mobil1 »

As Chris says try some neat truck clean and leave for couple of mins. I did and it came out like this.

from this

And back in the frame

Play Safe! Play Hard!!
mobil1

Post by mobil1 »

I then I sprayed it with some Mutts Nutts. And, yes, that is the name of it.
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

"truck clean"?

is that like traffic film remover?
mobil1

Post by mobil1 »

The stuff I've got is un diluted and bloody strong stuff. You have to make it up for normal use 1 part cleaner 50 part water. I did use a steam cleaner to rinse. Poly bagged and taped all the holes and wiring.
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

http://www.smartexpress.co.uk/products/ ... -ltr).html

This stuff works well on grime removal but its a bit iffy on how you use it (not allowed to breath during use LOL)
AKA Bald headed b'stard
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

oh and ive bought another bike in the meantime, another zxr 400 but this time im gonna turn it into a dedicated trackday bike, im currently cutting things out of the loom :D
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

parts are bought for the engine rebuild, and my engine is now back from the painters - i am a happy bunny :D