Fangs "new" toy!!

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Hence the reason for welding outside, cant ruin the carpet tiles :lol: :lol:
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever!!!
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

Stig wrote:
DAZ wrote: i see im not the only one who keeps old tax disc's,wife thought i was nuts :D
no your not the only one :paranoid: :paranoid: :ninja:

nice ride BTW :cool:
Guilty :)

That's going to look nice. :D
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nasty
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by nasty »

yzfpaul wrote:WOW now thats a proper project :nod:

look forward to your 2012 post :lol:

i must admit its lookin damn cool

pot kettle? :D
nasty`s the name helmet paintins, the game

if not pink don`t lick it!
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Stig wrote:project coming on nicely.

more importantly, carpet looks well smart....very jealous :D
Fang wrote:Hence the reason for welding outside, cant ruin the carpet tiles

Been using the grey matter too much today, I thought you were referring to the carpet tiles in the garage, my wife suggests you may have been on about the lounge carpet!:retard:

Going to bed, brain aches :crybaby:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I told her not to say anything to you about the last time I called as you weren't in. Didn't know you'd changed the lounge carpet as well as the bedroom :D :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Stig you rogue, if you tell me you popped round on your bike I'll know your lying :finger: although she does seem to have the polish out a lot????

Thats what I love about this site, I dont post that often, but when I do I'm welcomed back with open arms and a healthy degree of piss taking banter. :lol:

I promise I will update regularly from now on. :ninja:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Nothing major today, just spent an hour or so this afternoon trying to suss out how to brace the top rails of the subframe.

After much deliberation :retard: I think I'm going to use the original rails that I cut off.
Handy as its already got a dog leg on it so should fit in nice once all the brackets have been cut off.
Hopefully I can do this without modifying the undertray.

Conduit used to get a rough idea

Already doglegged, which is handy

And should fit nicely without modding undertray, once trimmed to length

more to come soon!!!!! :unibrow:
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

nasty wrote:
yzfpaul wrote:WOW now thats a proper project :nod:

look forward to your 2012 post :lol:

i must admit its lookin damn cool

pot kettle? :D
ok ok guilty as charged :lol:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Got home from work today, the sun was still shining so time for a few hours umming and aaarhing outside.

First things first I cut the footpeg loops and various brackets off of the rear frame rails then cleaned off the welds

Then out came the frame again, bodywork on, (held in place with Royal Mail rubber bands :unibrow: ) so I can plan ahead and try to avoid any interferance problems!!!

Even remembered to put the battery box in situ, nearly forgot, was planning on welding supports to the brace on the back of the frame, but then where would I put the battery!!!

After much head scratching what I'm going to do is weld a support under and between the frame rails, then cut a notch out of the top of the support rails to fit. this way its all under compression.

And as an added bonus I should be able to fit them round the battery box, and not have to touch the under tray, and re weld them back onto the main frame more or less where they were cut off.............providing I dont fuck up cutting the rails to length or the mitres!!

top cut out line in yellow ( merely for demonstration only :fu:) copyright Harris on his zx build

By now the light was starting to fade, so it all went back in the garage, ready for Saturday.
That will be a labourious process of bodywork off / on several times, check double check, triple check, but hey ho, if I can get that completed tomorrow I'll be well chuffed.

Bet it rains!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :crybaby:
joeboy
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by joeboy »

I can get over how fragile that frame looks compared to the fzr one. But of course it is steel compared to big ali ones.

:)

I have the exact same welder as yours by the way, do you have any bother with going gasless?
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Hey joeboy, in answer to your question regarding the welder.....aint got a clue :lol:

When I got it second hand it had wire for use with gas but no gas to go with it, I've only really used it with gasless wire so couldn't give you an honest answer as I have nothing to compare it with, but it seems to do the job.

I just make sure I put plenty on, cos I aint no welder!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

I have only just got mine, it has gassless wire in it but ive not used it yet. Those welds look pretty stuck to me and not much splatter on them but I am no welder either to be honest.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Well it didn't rain, so when I got home from work, out to play with grinders and welders I went :lol:

The top support was cut from an old bathtub frame I have been "storing" for 4 years "just in case"

and with this duly tacked in place I set about the long process of trying to cut the supports correctly, basically trying not to fuck it up!!

So out comes the cardboard to make a template...of sorts, doesn't matter if I stuff that up, got plenty of cardboard.

So after several hours of cutting, offering up, grinding, offering up, cup of tea, deliberate, offer up etc, I had my supports done!!

so just a case of tacking them in making sure all was well, then weld away!!!!!

Not the prettiest welds I grant you, but then I don't profess to be a welder!!!
Typically the best welds (or less shite as the case may be) were on the inside where they wont be seen! :crybaby:

All worked out rather well

With the tank and tail on, everything that needed clearance has got it, and being only 9 stone 13 (or 64 kilos for the Yanks) it ought to be able to support my weight.

Getting there, glad I managed to get the support needed without losing the "floating" back end look I want

Next thing on the list is sorting out a suport/brace for the top/rear of the seat unit as so far its only attached under the seat and the lower half has the number plate and rear light mounted into it, dont want that snapping off whilst out and about.

Just proof read this before posting... do I like the word "support" or what :retard:

Cant be arsed changing them tho!! :finger:

Laters :p
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

err...where does the shocker mount to? just a thought :rolleyes:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Oh Stig, Stig, Stig you doubting Thomas, The shock mounts to the shock mount of course... :finger: