Weird poser for you all.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Well I hope the trains running on 4 cylinders. :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've been going through the things I've been doing on the bike today with Mike (roadrunner) and we may have come up with what the problem could be. It could be contaminated fuel I bought from the garage. Tomorrow I'm going to get some fresh fuel from a different garage in town. Drain the carbs and fill with the fresh fuel and see if that cures it.

The problem started after I topped the bike up at my local garage on my way home. I'll keep you posted on the progress lads. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
nismo
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by nismo »

Did you put diesel in? :lol:

Fingers crossed it is just fuel, nice easy (and cheap!) fix
Defected for that V Twin goodness
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Mike asked the same question and no I definitely put petrol in the tank. Mike was telling me that he has heard of tanker drivers who deliver to garages putting diesel in the petrol storage tanks. A few years ago Tesco's did this and they had to pay a lot of money out for damages to vehicles etc.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Every little helps apparently. Just done a quick google search on soot in carb and it's brought up a range of suggestions from intake valve seating through to some strange fuel additive
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

State of play so far. Had a word this morning with the manager of the garage where I filled my tank up with on my way home. I explained the problems I was having to him and asked if anybody else had been back with the same problem. No was the answer. He took me into his office and showed me the tank reports, which they take everyday and it was showing 0.00 water. They have a delivery every week and they check it on the tanker and also when its unloaded for contamination. I bought some fresh fuel from another garage in town. Got home and drained float bowls and filled with fresh fuel. Primed the carbs and pressed start button. Took a while before it got going. Still on 1 cyl which is #2. I'm scratching my head now of what I can do next. Any ideas anybody?
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I've no sign of a spark on #1-3 or 4. That tells me it could be the coils on 1 & 4 but why would no 2 cyl still be working and not # 3?????
nismo

Post by nismo »

All I can think of is mark up all the plugs, caps, leads and coils and do an is / is not. Anything upstream of the coils should wipe them both out so that's not likely. We know plug #2 works with cap #2, lead #2 and on whichever side of the coil it is on - will all of #2 work on the side of the coil etc etc?

Aside from that, could it be running rich and flooding the other pots? That's what mine turned out be be, springs had weakened in the float valves
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Think I've cracked it. Its back on 4 cylinders now. I'll be back tomorrow with what it was. Been a long day. :nod:
nismo

Post by nismo »

Wot waz it mister???
BONLY1
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by BONLY1 »

Can you do a preview trailer in HD (Just like Game of thrones 7th season) 'cos the suspense is killin' me :paranoid:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I was going to put the bike back together before I wrote this reply. I thought better of it because it would've been like a scene from a maternity ward with people pacing up and down the corridor wondering what it was. :lol: :lol:

I'll keep this brief.

I was working on the bike all day yesterday trying different things and getting nowhere. One thing I did was to try the other set of spare coils again. After getting the same result (still running on 1 cylinder #2) I was taking the coils back off to put my original ones back on, when I noticed one of the two wires on the yellow male block had broken off. On checking the other second wire I noticed it was just hanging on by one thread of wire. after a lot of cursing and what have you.

I did a quick fix by using two female spade connectors. The yellow block does #1 and #4 plugs. I pressed the start button and she fired up on all four. What I don't understand is how #3 cylinder fired up allright because it wasn't before??

I've orered a couple of new blocks from ebay so I'll do a better job of it when they come.

Thanks everybody for their help especially Mike. Be lost without him.

nismo

Post by nismo »

Glad you got her sorted, and it wasn't as serious or expensive repair!!!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Cheers nismo, and yes it's always something simple that you don't always see first off.

I'm going to change the other plug because that too wasn't looking very healthy either. :nod:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Went for a test run this morning up to the Seaways cafe. Started up lovely and as I got going through town and had to slow down for the traffic lights it felt as though it was running a bit rough. Carried on through town and when I got on to an open road I gave it a bit and it pulled like a train all the way to Seaways. As I slowed down again for the car park it felt rough again. Had a look around the bike and couldn't see any tell tale signs of what it could be causing it.

Had half an hour and set off back for home. Same again pulled like a train. As I was passing the petrol garage in town I could smell petrol. I thought is that my bike or the garage???? As I got home and parked outside my garage I could smell petrol again. Plus it was ticking over to fast and the cooling fan was on, which is very strange.

Pushed it the garage and adjusted the tickover. As I was doing this I could see petrol running down the side of #1 carb. I've obviously disturb that by having the float bowls off. I put that right and primed the carbs again. That was cured and then Inoticed it was dripping petrol out of the overflow pipe on #3&4 carb.

So the carbs are off again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've ordered some more needle valves because these have lost their strength and not holding the float bowls in the right position.

So the saga continues.

Last edited by nuggitt on Sun May 28, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.